I have an idea, and that's about it. Please help

Started by
30 comments, last by HappyHeathen 11 years, 11 months ago
I have considered kickstarter as an option as well, but I'm not sure if that's really an option if I don't have anything but ideas on paper.
Advertisement
As far as founding is concernd, I've noticed that a lot of people use kickstarter.

However, I reccon you'd need some sort of demo of your product as well as a short video that shows why people should give you their money!
(I've browsed kickstarter quite a lot trying to figure out why some projects get almost nothing while other gets huge amount of money and im actually tempted to say that a lot has to do with that video tongue.png )

Good luck.

*EDIT: Meh you beat me to it ;)

I have considered kickstarter as an option as well, but I'm not sure if that's really an option if I don't have anything but ideas on paper.

Its not, no sane person will give you money unless you're reasonably well known or can show significant progress (There are quite a few fools out there but they're not common enough to actually fund a game)

At the moment you seem really passionate about this idea. That's great! But if you don't have money, you must do everything yourself. That's just how it is.

Everything is an exaggeration i think, If he can get started he'll have a much better chance at attracting people who can help him out.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
And just as a hint: a really detailed game design document (especially one done by someone who has never created a game before) amounts to almost nil when it comes to progress. That design will change, there will be horrendous problems that were not accounted for, etc... Unless there is concrete prototype work completed, functional and playable, a GDD has roughly the same value as toilet paper, IMO; less value, maybe, depending on the scratchiness and the suitability for septic systems.
Well, it's not even printed out, so it'd be kind of hard to wipe with it in its current state. I'm thinking about learning enough unity3d to create a bare bones version of it, and going from there.I've never used unity3d, so no telling how that will go.
Unity is an excellent choice, you can get something up and playable relatively quickly. Good luck, and keep us posted.
So far, as the idea has become more fleshed out, It's taken on more of a life, and it's drawing inspirations from more and more other sources. It's now a hybrid of X-Com, Rainbow Six, Metal Gear Solid, Peacewalker, and of course, its original inspiration, Atom Smasher Zombies.
Your last post is exactly why I advocate prototyping early and iterating often. It sounds like you're just pouring a bunch of games into a bucket and swirling it around, and that can be tricky. I'd say, before you start saying "it'll be like this, and like this, and like this" you should identify the core features of the gameplay and build a prototype, identify what works and what doesn't, and iterate. Rapid prototyping is essential, that way you don't waste a whole lot of time fleshing out a design for something that, when you get it built, just isn't fun. Because, sure, all those games might have some cool and fun features, but you won't know if they work together without a prototype.
I didn't intend it to be a mix like that from the start actually, I just started writing down what I wanted it to be like, and when I got to an aspect that I needed to figure out how to do, I'd think of a solution, then it would occur to me that "Hey, that's kind of like this other game". For instance, the MGS Peacewalker similarity, part of my idea is centered around rescuing survivors, which made me think, how should they benefit from rescuing people. For that I decided okay, rescued people can be put to work behind the scenes to help the overall war effort. Then it would occur to me that it was similar to an existing game. So I'm not intentionally mixing existing concepts, it's just that the ideas I come up with were previously used in other games.
HappyHeathen, sorry but this is going to be a hard dose of reality for you.

A friend of mine and I have been working on an idea for about three years now, we are just about ready to get it out the door and start making some money. We are both developers and we have done all of the code ourselves. Even with that, we have spent close to 300k getting this thing ready to ship.

If you want your game developed and you can't do the dev side, you best be ready to dish out at least that much.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement