whats the motivition for game apps?

Started by
7 comments, last by Buster2000 11 years, 11 months ago
I glanced through some previous posts on topics such as "can one make alot of money or at least make a living developing apps -particulally video game apps." the general answer seems to be NO.
What then is the motivation to develop video game apps since this requires alot of precious time, talent and top level skils- at least for high quality mobile game app
(appologies if this question has been dealt with already bcus i wasnt very thorough while checking previous posts)
Advertisement
What is the motivation to paint --- to invest hundreds or even thousands of dollars into paints and canvas and brushes --- when you know full well you won't make money from it?

What is the motivation to take photos --- to invest potentially thousands into cameras and lenses and flashes --- when you know full well you won't make money from it?

What is the motivation to make carvings --- to invest time and money into tools and blades and wood --- when you know full well you won't make any money from it?

What is the motivation to play music --- to invest time in instruments and lessons and practicing thousands of hours --- when you know full well you won't make any money from it?

The answer is the same as your question: When your needs are all met people have time and money to invest in activities they find fun, knowing full well that the result will have no significant cash value.
simply because i couldn't live without. Computer games are my passion, without passions I would be a monkey or cow.
It used to be a hobby I did after working hours in my real programming job, now this is my job and I am lucky and happy because it pays the bills and allow me to have no discontinuity between "work" and "passions".. if things will change and it won't be profitable anymore I'll go back doing a normal programming job and doing games at night.. it's just the way it is.. i can't imagine it being any different for other people involved in gamedev.

Stefano Casillo
TWITTER: [twitter]KunosStefano[/twitter]
AssettoCorsa - netKar PRO - Kunos Simulazioni

To further back up what has already been said, not all thing is life can be meassured in money, and sadly a lot of things that is, should not be.
It's artistic, and like crack to the creative mind.

It's like some animalistic drive, if a monkey could make apps it would.
Wow!! I couldn't wrap it up better than all the replies - and they are all dead on!

A person needs to do what they like to do - life it tooooo short do do otherwise - No one should enter a career "just for the $$$$" - Do what you LOVE and you will find a way to make money doing it. Do what you don't LOVE, and you will be asking yourself "why live?" Sadly, many people live like that.

Again, the above replies are spot on!
Michael Suess
MES Enterprises, LLC
http://mesenterprisesllc.com

I glanced through some previous posts on topics such as "can one make alot of money or at least make a living developing apps -particulally video game apps." the general answer seems to be NO.
What then is the motivation to develop video game apps since this requires alot of precious time, talent and top level skils- at least for high quality mobile game app
(appologies if this question has been dealt with already bcus i wasnt very thorough while checking previous posts)

You can make a living developing apps, it just isn't easy (The difficulty also depends alot on where you live, countries with high salaries and/or high taxes are really bad for this while low salary / low tax countries are alot easier to work in) (Its a global market, if you sell 10000 copies for $1 each as an indian you've probably made more money than you would have gotten from most normal jobs, if you do it as a swede you would have been better off financially if you spent the time flipping burgers at mcdonalds instead (mcdonalds actually pays fairly well here and our lovely government just loves to tax us like mad)
(I need a revenue of around $5000 per man-month before taxes to be able to pay "reasonable" (still below local industry rates) salaries (Which quite frankly is insane, if it wasn't for the taxes i could get by with around $2000 per month (Which while below what an industry job pays post-tax is more than enough to actually live on here).

Thus i pretty much jump between properly payed non game projects and indie game dev. If i can switch to indie game dev full time and still pay my bills and have some money to spend on fun things then i'll consider myself successful.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Doing what you love to do is very satisfying and you will live longer than if you are stuck with a dead end job even if you earn more.
On the other hand one can still have the best of both worlds if the economics done properly- i mean if an app is really good and people like it, why should the price stick to $1? Raise the price accordingly to say $2.. $3 , judge when the price is right and demand would still be high (hope i am not being naive?)
A lot of the people saying that you can't make a lot of money from developing apps are so far off the mark it's unbelivable. The question they are answering is "can everybody be an app millionare?". Obviously the answer is NO but on the otherhand if the question is "Can an individual make a lot of money developing apps?" then the answer is YES absolutly. My salery for developing XBOX 360, PS3 and PC games was about £24,000 and I had to work weekends and evenings with no Bonus. Now as an iPhone developer I earn £50,000 (which is fairly average as far as iOS development goes) Plus I get around £15,000 in bonus a year. Also since I don't work evenings and weekend crunch anymore I can pick up the odd freelance contract in my spare time which combined with my own apps makes around £20,000 a year (almost as much as my full time salery was.

It is very easy to make money developing apps because there is a massive shortage of developers. In the UK the average freelance salery for mobile devs is £350 a day and the average full time salery is £50,000.

I think the reason so many people say that you can't make moey from mobile apps (particularly games) is that either they are not as good a game designer that they thought they were, they have no idea how to market their game or they have a huge team that needs paying.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement