Driving player animations/controls from LUA or c++

Started by
1 comment, last by RobM 11 years, 12 months ago
Morning everyone

My player character/avatar/model is going to have some pretty complex animations and physics - for starters, I want it to have a real sense of weight (something quite often missing/overlooked in even AAA games I feel).

Before I embark on developing my player controls/animations, I need to decide on a strategy. Do I have a c++ 'Player' class with all the code in there to blend/cut animations based on the environment and user input or should I have a c++ 'Player' class that simply has "blend these animations together using this timeline" and have everything externally controlled/driven via something like LUA? I'm not overly familiar with what LUA is capable of yet but I will be using some form of scripting at some point for other parts of the game and I've only ever heard great things about LUA.

Thanks for any tips
Advertisement
Move the performance part , especially the inverse kinetic calculation, into your c++ class. The hi-level control could be done with lua. But be careful where to draw the line. I.e. handling multi-processor tasks (quite useful for phyiscs/inverse kinetic calculations) are incredible hard with lua, this should be done in C++.
Cool, that's kind of what I figured. Thanks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement