Sign in to follow this  

Back to the basics

This topic is 2056 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi reader,

Going through my source code, it is clear that nothing has been planned before writing the source.
My goal was to produce some things to have some fun making it.

I've done a few classes, but i was willing to find a web page about UML construction of the Class organisation or a way to build a game before writing the actual source.

If you guys know a page dealing with this I'd be glad to have it. Also if you have an opinion on this please let me know.

Thank you.

In my experience, tools like UML don't help a whole lot. Good design requires experience, and there is no shortcut to acquiring it. So try to organize your next project better than the previous one, but don't be surprised if you regret some design decisions down the line. After a few iterations, you'll find certain things that work well.

"Software patterns" are an attempt to collect a list of those things. I think it's a worthy enterprise, but I personally benefit very little from the experience of others transmitted that way.

I've discovered that nearly all projects I start on my own, it took me a bit to finally get over the architecture of the system so I could actually GET to writing the program. Until I get better at understanding all the caveats of what I want to do (because I am guaranteed to forget something), the best course of action is to just start, without worrying too much about what the architecture is.

Of course, that doesn't mean ignore what you learn while you do it, because you will eventually grasp what you need to do while you are making your program. Looking back at school projects, I am surprised they even worked at all, they were implemented so horribly.

[quote name='alvaro' timestamp='1335880651' post='4936420']
don't be surprised if you regret some design decisions down the line
[/quote]

This should be taught to everyone.

This topic is 2056 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.