Game Graphics Skip With VSYNC Off

Started by
2 comments, last by Psycrosis 11 years, 11 months ago
I am making a 2-d scrolling platformer. Like classic Mario. With vsync off the graphics sort of skip some when scrolling left and right through the level. It is not game breaking by any means but it is still noticeable. When I have vsync on the problem goes away completely. With this much information could anyone give me some ideas as to why my game may be doing this? I am coding with C++ and Directx 11.
Advertisement
Tad embarrased because I am guessing this is normal and I shouldn't be concerned about it. I tried turning off vsync in other games I own and I see similar affects happening.
#1: Ensure your game is time-based, not framerate-based.

#2: Run outside of the debugger. If you’re printing any messages to the debugger, these things take time and cause stutter. Release mode, or an extra mode called “Really Truly Release Mode Cross My Heart and Swear to Die” should have all debug output disabled.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

Whats happening is when you have vsync on it limits the rendering rate to the refresh rate of your monitor... Say your monitor's refresh rate is 60hz, then the draw rate would be around 60fps. With vsync off it's attempting to draw as fast as it can... That's all good and dandy except that when windows processes messages and doing other stuff it competes with your game... hence the stuttering graphics... I have a clunker computer and it stutters whether vsync is on or off unless i limit the framerate to about 30 fps...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement