Artist wants to become a programmer

Started by
2 comments, last by Ashaman73 11 years, 11 months ago
Hi all,

This is my first post and i am hoping to gain some perspective on the following:
I am an artist. I would not go so far to say that I am a "Games" artist as I have not worked in the games industry, nor have I worked in the VFX industry. I went to a very respected school for illustration in NYC and I also studied at the Gnomon school of Visual effects. I have done a significant amount of soul searching and have decided that I want to move away from pursuing a career as a production artist and want to become either a programmer or engineer. The question I have is , will the following skill set in anyway make one iota of difference in my career path to work in the software development end of the Game industry? They are:

Advanced : Hard surface /organic modeling Techniques Maya,3Dsmax,Zbrush
Advanced : Procedural Shading in Maya
Advanced : particle systems Thinking Particles, Afterburn,Krakatoa
A comprehensive understanding of UDK and CryEngine

I thank you for your time and input in advance,

Avi

P.S For whatever it's worth I have been learning C++ via Bjarne Stroustrup's introductory book on programming. I start my Computer science Bachelors degree in the fall.
Advertisement
Well it depends a bit I reckon. Having a good understanding of how the software works will have a good value if you for example will create an art asset pipeline or something. Or know how things are constructed, as a graphics programmer it might help you out to know how to effectively create models and such (although I guess that depends a lot)

The most use will most likely be tool creation though, like the art asset pipeline and such. I'm no expert on how things are handled in bigger companies and such, but during projects I did, I found in valuable to have artists understand the programming side and vice versa.
if you are an [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]

[background=rgb(250, 251, 252)]artist and you want to make games, you don't need to become a sophisticated [/background]

[/font][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]

[background=rgb(250, 251, 252)]programmer and also it is hard for you to become a [/background]

[background=rgb(250, 251, 252)]sophisticated [/background]

[background=rgb(250, 251, 252)]programmer[/background]

[background=rgb(250, 251, 252)], what you need is only a good game engine and learn some basic skill of [/background]

[background=rgb(250, 251, 252)]programming. You can try our game engine and we can help you to fulfill your game dream. good luck![/background]

[/font]

The question I have is , will the following skill set in anyway make one iota of difference in my career path to work in the software development end of the Game industry?

Yes, there's always the need of a bridge between artists and coders. From a coder view, a graphical programmer can benefit from a good understanding of art and art tool. Your skills although helps when developing tools for the art pipeline (i.e exporter/importer).

From an artist view there's the role of a technical artist, someone who has a very good technical understanding of the engine used and who is able to communicate this to the art team/lead artist.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement