Vertex format problem

Started by
7 comments, last by kauna 11 years, 11 months ago
[color=#434343][font=helvetica, arial, verdana,]I read a memory block of [/font]vertex positions[color=#434343][font=helvetica, arial, verdana,] from an file but they're in this sequance [/font]X Z Y[color=#434343][font=helvetica, arial, verdana,] and the FVF format is D3DFVF_[/font]XYZ[color=#434343][font=helvetica, arial, verdana,] - what vertex format to use to fix this problem or maybe changing the coordinate axes?[/font]
Advertisement
Hi,

There is no such vertex format as XZY. Either change the component ordering at load time to XYZ or use a swizzle in the vertex shader.

Best regards!
What is this [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]

[background=rgb(250, 251, 252)]swizzle - I mean can you give me an example with a function call?[/background]

[/font]

Best regards!

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]

[background=rgb(250, 251, 252)]Thanks![/background]

[/font]

Swizzling is used in any high level shading languages:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb509634(v=vs.85).aspx check here for details who swizzling works.

Or simply put in the vertex shader

float4 main(float4 pos : SV_POSITION) : SV_POSITION
{
float4 val = mul(pos.xzyw,World); //y and z components swizzled.

return val;
}

Best regards!
Can't you just reprocess your vertex file to rearrange the vertices in the coordinate system expected by DX9? Most likely it only involves importing and exporting the file through any good 3D design package or you could even write your own script if the format isn't too complicated.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Lol here what I'll read this summer about -

[background=rgb(250, 251, 252)]shading. But for now here is what I do: I use a block of structures to store the vertex from the file and then I put it into the vertex buffer. Here is the code:[/background]

//The structure where I store the vertex
struct CUSTOMVERTEX {
CUSTOMVERTEX();
FLOAT X, Z, Y; FLOAT U, V, U1, V1; DWORD COLOR, COLOR1, COLOR2;
};

//The vertex format declaration

D3DVERTEXELEMENT9 dwDecl3[] =
{
{0, 0, D3DDECLTYPE_FLOAT3, D3DDECLMETHOD_DEFAULT,
D3DDECLUSAGE_POSITION, 0},
{0, 12, D3DDECLTYPE_FLOAT2, D3DDECLMETHOD_DEFAULT,
D3DDECLUSAGE_TEXCOORD, 0},
{0, 20, D3DDECLTYPE_FLOAT2, D3DDECLMETHOD_DEFAULT,
D3DDECLUSAGE_TEXCOORD, 1},
{0, 28, D3DDECLTYPE_D3DCOLOR, D3DDECLMETHOD_DEFAULT,
D3DDECLUSAGE_FOG, 0},
{0, 32, D3DDECLTYPE_D3DCOLOR, D3DDECLMETHOD_DEFAULT,
D3DDECLUSAGE_COLOR, 1},
{0, 36, D3DDECLTYPE_D3DCOLOR, D3DDECLMETHOD_DEFAULT,
D3DDECLUSAGE_COLOR, 0},
D3DDECL_END()
};

//The function creating the vertex buffer
void Room::CreateBuffers(unsigned long ptr, Map* BaseClass) {
//Some code........

CUSTOMVERTEX* vertex;
vertex=new CUSTOMVERTEX[NumVertices];

GetF(0, ptr+56+BaseClass->MapOffset, sizeof(CUSTOMVERTEX)*NumVertices, &vertex[0]); //Load the vertex positions from the file

//Create the buffer

d3ddev->CreateVertexBuffer(NumVertices*sizeof(CUSTOMVERTEX),
D3DPOOL_MANAGED,
&v_buffer,
NULL);

VOID* pVoid; // a void pointer

// lock t_buffer and load the vertices into it
if(v_buffer) {
v_buffer->Lock(0, 0, (void**)&pVoid, 0);
memcpy(pVoid, vertex, NumVertices*sizeof(CUSTOMVERTEX));
v_buffer->Unlock();
delete[] vertex;
}
else
vertex=NULL;

d3ddev->SetStreamSource(0, v_buffer, 0, sizeof(CUSTOMVERTEX));
}

Any advice about this code. And I can't change the format because I don't made it - it's from a game.
After the part

"GetF(0, ptr+56+BaseClass->MapOffset, sizeof(CUSTOMVERTEX)*NumVertices, &vertex[0]);"

Can't you just iterate through your vertices and swap the z and y components?

Such as

for(int i=0;i<NumVertices;++i)
{
std::swap(vertex.z,vertex.y);
}

Best regards!
Hmm, actually this work and the program works fast. Because I was think such of loop will slow it down and that's way I was searching for some tricks. Anyway thanks for the advice.

Hmm, actually this work and the program works fast. Because I was think such of loop will slow it down and that's way I was searching for some tricks. Anyway thanks for the advice.

I assume that you run that loop only when you are loading your assets. Since the code isn't run while your main loop is executing, it doesn't affect the performance of your program at all.

You shouldn't be afraid of writing a piece of code which does the thing that you need it to do (especially if it is simple loop). After writing the code you may find out (by using facts from profilers and user experience etc) that the code needs to be improved performance wise.

Best regards!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement