Sign in to follow this  

Possible to set a z location for sprites in clip space?

This topic is 2051 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am using D3DXFont to do my engine UI text , and I would like to know if there is a way to adjust its z location in clip space(0.0 - 1.0). As far as I can tell, there is no way to do this, but someone out there might have some more insight on this. Any ideas?

Thanks

[quote name='xyzzy00']
You can control the depth at which your UI text draws something like this:

pSprite->Begin(D3DXSPRITE_ALPHABLEND | D3DXSPRITE_SORT_TEXTURE | D3DXSPRITE_SORT_DEPTH_BACKTOFRONT);

D3DXMATRIX xform;
D3DXMatrixTranslation(&xform, 0.0f, 0.0f, depth);
pSprite->SetTransform(&xform);
pFont->DrawText(pSprite, ...);

pSprite->End();

Setting the sprite transform will effect everything you draw subsequently with that sprite object. So when you draw the sprites for your other UI widgets, you'll probably want to specify 0 for the z-value of their position. And 'depth' should be a value between 0 and 1.

Also, make sure you are using the latest DXSDK. They just added the ability to specify both D3DXSPRITE_SORT_TEXTURE and D3DXSPRITE_SORT_DEPTH_BACKTOFRONT at the same time in the last update.

xyzzy[/quote]

This topic is 2051 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.