Setting up a website - Questions about registaring domains

Started by
5 comments, last by Servant of the Lord 11 years, 11 months ago
Hey, I'm setting up several websites. I'm new to web development.
The websites will be mostly static, using WordPress.

I'm thinking of using HostGator for hosting (Any problems with them? They seem to have a good reputation). However, I was also thinking of registering more domain names than I'm currently needing (I was thinking of registering about 7 or 8 that I plan to use in the future (year or two from now), only three will I use in the present (I'm setting up a site not just for me, but another for a family member at the same time).

I was planning on registering the domains under a separate company, just incase I migrate off of HostGator in the future (i.e. keeping the registar, but switching to a new host). Is this a good idea? Am I being paranoid?

Any suggestions on where I should register domains? GoDaddy seems to have a somewhat negative reputation, despite being the largest. Have you had any problems with them? Who would you recommend?
Advertisement
I was planning on registering the domains under a separate company, just incase I migrate off of HostGator in the future (i.e. keeping the registar, but switching to a new host). Is this a good idea? Am I being paranoid?

The URL and the host are completely independent from each other, if you want to change the host, you simply change to which server the URL points.
Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.
Yea, that's my point. If I register the domains with a different company than I host the sites on, they are completely separate from each other, and a host can't through shady-ish practices hold my domain hostage, since the domain is with another company. (The liklihood of switching hosts in the future is probable, the liklihood of switch a domain name register is much less so, right? I mean, either they register the domain and point it at my site or they don't. But with a host, so much more can go wrong - too much downtime, poor support, data loss, TOS changes, etc...)

Or, did you mean HostGator's domain selling business is logically separated from their webhosting business (and not just in a technical sense)?

Currently thinking, after more reading:
Host = A small orange
Register = 1&1 or NameCheap
For what it's worth, I just bought a domain with NameCheap and I've enjoyed them so far. I primarily bought it to have a dedicated domain I can use for dynamic DNS (for various home machines, each at a ***.mydomain.com domain). Since I'm not doing anything with the main domain or the www. subdomain, I made them point to my blog (which I don't use a whole lot), but I also wanted the domain so I could change this in the future if I ever made my own site.

Anyway, NameCheap was by far the cheapest (about 75$ for 5 years with WHOIS privacy protection). I haven't had any problems either, so I would certainly recommend them.

I don't like GoDaddy for two primary reasons: a) they were for SOPA/PIPA, and b) I really don't like their marketing/advertising strategy (that's more of a personal thing though). Plus they were way more expensive than NameCheap.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
Thanks for the input - in the process of registering via NameCheap. smile.png
I used StartLogic, they are pretty much like GoDaddy I think, but I've heard a lot of bad about the latter.

They have a WordPress plug-in and they are great for people that are complete novices at all things web (like myself).

-Jason
http://www.emblemmusic.com
Good to know! ASmallOrange.com also has WordPress plug-ins (via cPanel). I found it surprisingly easy to get up and running.
Another cool thing ASO allows is running multiple websites from the same hosting package - but I don't know if that's common with hosts or not.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement