Sign in to follow this  

Trying to understand FBX models

This topic is 2050 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all, I'm trying to work with an FBX model I downloaded and I'm a bit confused about how animation works with FBX. The file I downloaded also came with a text file describing the animations. This is what it looks like:

005 - 100 Idle
105 - 145 walk
150 - 180 run
185 - 285 alert
290 - 390 converstaion

What do these numbers correspond to? How do I access the different meshes at these animated states? If anyone here has experience working with the FBX SDK, I'd appreciate any help. Thank you.

Those are likely frame start/end numbers for your animation.

[quote]
[left][background=rgb(250, 251, 252)]How do I access the different meshes at these animated states. [/background][/left]
[/quote]

[left][background=rgb(250, 251, 252)]The FBX SDK documentation tells you how to do that.[/background][/left]

[left][background=rgb(250, 251, 252)]The tricky parts (other stuff is pretty self-explanatory from reading the SDK docs)[/background][/left]

[left][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][background=rgb(250, 251, 252)]- concept of a 'skin' maps to a FBX deformer (with type=skin)[/background][/font][/color][/left]

[left][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][background=rgb(250, 251, 252)]- concept of a 'joint' maps to a FBX cluster[/background][/font][/color][/left]

[left][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][background=rgb(250, 251, 252)]- splitting mesh by material destroys the animation data (I vaguely remember getting frustrated over this...)[/background][/font][/color][/left]

[left][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][background=rgb(250, 251, 252)]- to get an object's property at a specific time, use an Evaluator[/background][/font][/color] (scene->GetEvaluator())[/left] Edited by jameszhao00

This topic is 2050 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.