Reputation spamming

Started by
20 comments, last by VaultNews 11 years, 11 months ago
Hi people,

I recently looked at my reputation history (haven't ever done so before). I noticed that I received 23 vote downs within a single 5 minute period, on posts that seemed to have nothing particularly offensive or off-topic. That seems like griefer behaviour to me. Do the forums have any policies on that sort of thing?

Thanks,

JT
Advertisement
The reason why you haven't looked at your reputation timeline before, is because it wasn't there before a few hours ago. wink.png

They're doing work on the software it seems. Not being a developer or moderator of the site, I don't know for sure*, but I would guess the -23 rating within five minutes was them transferring your old negative pointed posts before they transferred over your positive points. You also seemed to have gone from zero to 114 in six hours according to the timeline. They probably were importing the old rating into their new system, but lost the timestamps of those ratings in the process. It seems like they also were crawling the rated posts in the forum, and counted all the negatives before they counted all the positives.

My rating history also looks funky, starting out at -265, and climbing slowly over the past three months before balancing at zero and then jumping to 937 in a single leap.
I'm noticing a number of new additions to the site that are just funky right now because they are right now working on it. For example, many posts seem to have two separate ways to rate them (old way and new way, I guess?), each with different graphics. Some posts that I should be able to rate, I randomly cannot rate - it's probably still WIP.

Is your total rating (ignoring the WIP timeline) noticeably higher or lower than you remember it being two days ago? If not, I wouldn't worry.

*[size=2]But a simple thing like facts and knowledge isn't going to keep me from guessing wildly!
Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. I don't know whether it's related or not, so caution would dictate waiting a few days for things to settle down then look into it again. I don't know whether my total reputation has gone down or not because I was only made aware of it a few weeks back (behind the times I am, yes). Today was the first time I really investigated, possibly because a sparkly new feature caught my eye.

I can handle criticism (in moderation), but it seemed that the majority of the down-voted posts were pretty blameless (including 1 downvote on every post I made in a thread that I started, dated after the thread had died), and the 5 minute window looked suspicious to me.
We are actively working on the reputation system right now so the numbers will look a bit wonky for a little bit.. you should notice them higher than they were before we started though when we are finished. I figured this wouldn't be *too* bad to do on a sunday night before the start of the next work week. ;)
I guess you didn't count on tricky New Zealanders and their early rising ways. ;)
Oh yeah.. timezones.. forgot about that. =P
I has question. Why is it that we now have two ways to vote up someone?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Me is reputation point geek, me be happy

Anyway, my point was 646 now it's 919. Maybe it's just flipped upside down.

I has question. Why is it that we now have two ways to vote up someone?

Because the other buttons haven't been removed yet. They will be once MT has had some more time to tweak things probably.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

I noticed that too, I jumped from 55 to 155 and then to 182 in a couple hours. At first I thought I posted something so helpful it got a hundred upvotes but then I noticed everyone else had 100+ reputation unsure.png

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement