Sign in to follow this  

A question on derivative for real valued function

This topic is 2044 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I have a probably simple question on a general function, let say I have a real valued function y = f(x), x >= 0

Now I have calculated that for all x, the 1st derivative is always negative and the 2nd derivative is always positive. With this finding, can I infer that, the 1st derivative will always decrease (in absolute value) as I move onward in x?

Thanks for your comment.

Thanks and regards,

Consider a line with a negative slope

The first derivative will always be negative, so f(x) will always decrease.

But the absolute value of that line won't decrease forever. It'll decrease until it hits the x axis, and then abs(f(x)) will begin to increase (as f(x) become more negative)

[quote name='ronm' timestamp='1336504589' post='4938463']
Now I have calculated that for all x, the 1st derivative is always negative and the 2nd derivative is always positive. With this finding, can I infer that, the 1st derivative will always decrease (in absolute value) as I move onward in x?
[/quote]

Yes.

[/quote]

If the 1st derivative is always negative, but increasing, it would imply to me that the 1st derivative is asymptotic to 0 (or a value below 0), because that's the only way it could never become positive while having a positive 2nd derivative.

[quote name='jefferytitan' timestamp='1336514806' post='4938500']
[/quote]

If the 1st derivative is always negative, but increasing, it would imply to me that the 1st derivative is asymptotic to 0 (or a value below 0), because that's the only way it could never become positive while having a positive 2nd derivative.
[/quote]

It doesn't have to be asymptotic to zero:
f(x) = 1/x - x
f'(x) = -1/x^2 - 1 < 0
f"(x) = 1/x^3 > 0
limi(f'(x)) = -1 as x->infinity Edited by alvaro

@alvaro, if you read more carefully "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][left][background=rgb(250, 251, 252)]it would imply to me that the 1st derivative is asymptotic to 0 (or a value below 0)". e.g. asymptotic to z where z<=0.[/background][/left][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='jefferytitan' timestamp='1336543816' post='4938587']
@alvaro, if you read more carefully "
[left][background=rgb(250, 251, 252)]it would imply to me that the 1st derivative is asymptotic to 0 (or a value below 0)". e.g. asymptotic to z where z<=0.[/background][/left]

[/quote]
The text in parentheses is supposed to be explanatory, and if I ignore it the sentence shouldn't become false. I was just clarifying that the value can indeed be below 0.

This topic is 2044 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.