simple game

Started by
5 comments, last by phil67rpg 11 years, 11 months ago
I am developing a game where a space ship shoots bricks at the top of the screen from the bottom of the screen. I have done alot of research on collision detection and bounding boxes in particular but I am still confused about how to implement a good collision detection routine.If you know of any really good web sites please share them with me.
Advertisement
For collision detection for shooting bricks, you could just go with the InsersectRect() function as the bullets would just travel straight up and always hit from below (I'm assuming). That should mostly suffice your needs depending on what you want to do. If it was a ball/brick collision like BreakOut, now that's a different story. wink.png
actually it is like breakout,but I will try IntersectRect() method.
You may experience the problem of your bullets travelling too fast, e.g. gone all the way past a brick without a collision in one time step. In that case intersecting a line with a rectangle might make more sense, e.g. the line from bullet_old_y to bullet_new_y.

You may experience the problem of your bullets travelling too fast, e.g. gone all the way past a brick without a collision in one time step. In that case intersecting a line with a rectangle might make more sense, e.g. the line from bullet_old_y to bullet_new_y.

Thank you jefferytitan. I forgot to mention that part. smile.png
thanks for all the help,
I am currently working on a breakout/space invaders cross.I am using dx9 and c++.There sure is alot to learn but things are going along nicely.the hardest part is the collision detection.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement