• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GKANG

New to Game Programming, Sub: Creating RPG Skills

11 posts in this topic

This is my first post here so I'd like to give a bit of background first. Hey all.

Alright so first, I haven't made a 'proper' game yet. I just started programming a few months back and have a pretty solid understanding of the language (C++), but I haven't done anything graphical. The games I have made have been pretty complex console programs, plus I've made some really neat map generators (including semi-isometric ones, making minerals spawn in random but sensical places etc.).

Now you guys are thinking "why is this guy trying to make an RPG, sigh, all the newbies thinking they can jump in at the deep end". I see people talking about wanting to make their amazing new MMO idea and they clearly don't have a clue about what that actually entails, but the RPG I plan on making actually works right now. I have the battle system and a bunch of other stuff coded already. It's an original system which is unique as far as I know, with a bunch of great tactical options - especially for something that's based on Japanese battle systems. It really isn't as efficient as it could be, but that'll improve over time. Other stuff like collision etc. I'll have to learn from scratch though, I'm not that far ahead yet. Anyway!

[b]Main topic:[/b]
I'm asking you guys for help, since I'm pretty ignorant of how games are actually built. Specifically, I'd like to know how you guys would go about coding the effects of skills without just plan coding them in a massive list. Right now, I have a bunch of .txt files with skill names, stats, levels etc stored in them, and I get that info via file i/o. The only way I can think of getting them to actually [i]do something[/i] is to have a massive switch(case) or something, then basically writing the code for each individual skill in each case. This may be the typical way that you'd program it, but I don't know that. It's worth mentioning that I have a ton of skills, somewhere around 50-60, so that's why I'm even bothering to ask.

You're all welcome to give me advice about other things too, since again I'm completely new to actual game development. Also uh, I'll be learning/using SFML when making this.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

You could think of this on a super basic level as a typical JRPG battle system, which basically means you choose a skill / target / execute. There are much deeper mechanics at work, but yeah they're just mechanics. As for collision, I'll probably only be using it for walking into walls or solid objects while outside of battles, so don't worry about that.

The skill types I'll be using are pretty much standard fare, for now at least. Healing, buffs (stat boosts, damage %+), debuffs, physical/magical damage.. Each skill also fits into a group too, so you could think of holy moves as being blue, defender moves are yellow kind of deal. Lastly, every skill has an element (I count 'no element' as one of them) so that when compared to the enemies resistances it'll change the damage output.

I'll go ahead and post some of my Battle code here.

[CODE]
void AssignDamage(Actor Attacker, Actor &Defender, Skill SK, Weapon TheWeapon)
{
/// Modifier:
// Weak 40%: 1.4
// None 00%: 1.0
// Resist 30%: 0.7
// Absorb 60%: -0.6

// Actors have a SetHP method which takes a negative integer value:
// Actor :: SetHP(int Change) { HP += Change; }

int Damage = 0;
double Attack = 0, Result = 0;
int ModType = SK.GetElement();
int PreDamageHP = Defender.GetHP();
bool CriticalHit = RollForCrit(((Attacker.GetSPD()*.12) * Attacker.GetLCK())); // Random Function 1-100, type double, returns bool
string TheChange;

Attacker.UseSkill(SK, Attacker, Defender); // don't really know what to do with this now

switch(SK.GetAttackType())
{
case PATK: Attack = Attacker.GetATK() + SK.GetPower() + TheWeapon.GetPower(); break;
case MATK: Attack = Attacker.GetMAG() + SK.GetPower(); break;
}

if(CriticalHit){
Attack *= 1.8; // ..or something.
}

Attack -= (Defender.GetDEF()/2);
Result = Attack - (Attack * Defender.GetMOD(ModType)); //eg. if defender is weak by 20%, this would be Attack * 1.2.
Damage = RoundNumber(Result);
Defender.SetHP(-Damage);

if(PreDamageHP < Defender.GetHP()){
TheChange = " absorbed ";
Attack = Defender.GetHP() - PreDamageHP;
} else {
TheChange = " took ";
Attack = PreDamageHP - Defender.GetHP();
}

cout << Defender.GetName() << TheChange << Attack << "DMG!";
}

// here is the function to round numbers up or down:
int RoundNumber(double NumToRound)
{
int WholeValue = NumToRound;

if((NumToRound - WholeValue) > .4)
WholeValue++;

return WholeValue;
}
[/CODE]

Anyway, i'd like to hear more about your Action class, it sounds much better than how I'm currently trying to do things. I always get frustrated when I end up having to hard code so much. Edited by GKANG

In terms of storing skill data - you might want to consider using XML or an SQLite database, so you can maintain consistent structure across skills.

Each skill, if "generic" enough, can be created as a generic skill with specific parameters.

i.e. Fireball is a "Basic Attack" with type Fire, BasePower 10, and SplashDamage = true.

Most custom stuff you will want to code by hand; in some cases you will want to hard code it, as scripting can end up being just as difficult as simply coding it, not to mention the time you'll spend handwriting your own scripting language.

I'd also advise you to split up that function, that will grow in size and complexity - you may wish to split it into "ReceivesDamage" and "CausesDamage" for the receiving and the attacking unit; the attacking unit generally does not care who attacked it (unless you want to assign damage credit), but simply what type and how much damage it received.

This way, you can separate the attacking unit's damage calculating from the receiving unit's defensive calculations.

[quote name='ndssia' timestamp='1336668543' post='4939042']
In terms of storing skill data - you might want to consider using XML or an SQLite database, so you can maintain consistent structure across skills.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip, I'll look those up right away.

[quote]Each skill, if "generic" enough, can be created as a generic skill with specific parameters.

i.e. Fireball is a "Basic Attack" with type Fire, BasePower 10, and SplashDamage = true.[/quote]

Right now I have a Skill class which stores things like power, attack type, level, cost, name, info etc. That's pretty much the same thing as what you're talking about, right? I also tinkered around with having a basic Skill class, which just had generic things like the level, cost and so on, but not power kind of thing. Then I was going to have subclasses which would inherit from Skill called Buffs, PhysicalAttack etc. I don't know if it's necessary but yeah.

Also pardon my vagueness here, it's hard sometimes to point out what exactly I'm looking for. Here's an example:

Name: SmackYourBuns
Info: Lowers target's defence by 20%, 30 physical damage.
Name: Nutriants
Info: Heals party with power 50, type Earth.

So remember that UseSkill() call I have in my AssignDamage() function? That was to apply the actual effect of the skill. So like, I'd send in the Skill's ID# or something, then inside UseSkill I was going to have a big switch containing framework for different skill archetypes. So for example, this skill SmackYourBuns could use a case which had:

[CODE] double StatChange = 0.2;
Defender.SetStat(Defence, StatChange);
AssignDamage(...);[/CODE]

.. kind of thing. FakeEDIT: I just realised that there are only really two types of skills, in essence. Or at least, two potential parts to a skill. Dealing damage (negative for healing) and changing stats (negative and positive, debuffs and buffs). Maybe I could work this into the main generic Skill class and just check to see if the required skill has both or just one of those things. Does that sound about right?

[quote]Most custom stuff you will want to code by hand; in some cases you will want to hard code it, as scripting can end up being just as difficult as simply coding it, not to mention the time you'll spend handwriting your own scripting language.[/quote]

Alright, sounds fine to me. If I've understood your suggestions for the class, I'm pretty sure that the majority of skills will be dealt with there anyway.

[quote]I'd also advise you to split up that function, that will grow in size and complexity - you may wish to split it into "ReceivesDamage" and "CausesDamage" for the receiving and the attacking unit; the attacking unit generally does not care who attacked it (unless you want to assign damage credit), but simply what type and how much damage it received.

This way, you can separate the attacking unit's damage calculating from the receiving unit's defensive calculations.[/quote]

This sounds true enough. Also yeah, I totally haven't even begun coding the enemy AI yet. Maybe I will have to send in the Actor if I end up using the aggro points priority system.

Thanks for the reply, I'm glad I'm getting so much help in my first thread here. Edited by GKANG

You don't want to have that AssignDamage method. As the number of skills grow, so is the size of that method.

Skill should be an interface, and it defines nothing (no attributes, damage, type, element, etc.). Here's an overview:

[CODE]
class ISkill {
public:
virtual void applySkill(Actor& actor) = 0;
virtual std::string getDescription() = 0;
};

class Fireball : public ISkill {
public:
virtual void applySkill(Actor& actor) {
// do fireball damage here to actor
}
};

[/CODE]

By defining Skill as an interface without attributes, first, you are opening your skill libraries virtually limitless. You are not stuck to elemental skills, but also different types of skills, perhaps a specific swords slashes or pickpocket. Second, you won't have a large method body with different switch-case statements for different types of skills, as each skill is responsible in writing its own method to apply the effect to an actor. Third, you can use this interface as active skills (actor to actor), passive skills (actor to self), or status ailments (overtime buffs or debuffs).

I'm not entirely sure that I follow, sorry. It looks like your Fireball sub-class will only be able to execute a single ability, "Fireball". I understand that instead of having individual stats for each Skill, you could just use the specific numbers you need in each of those applySkill methods (which mean yeah, I don't need most of those stats), but this loops back to the problem I had in the first place - I don't necessarily want to hard code 60 skill classes this way.

The way I've been thinking of doing things is to have a couple of bool variables for each skill that's created - StatSkill, ForceSkill. This way, I only need two functions that almost all of my skills can use, passing in the skill itself for its stats. So if a skill heals and buffs, StatSkill = true; ForceSkill= true;. The skill is then passed into both funtions (one for stat changes, one for health changes) and it does its thing. If it's purely a damaging move, StatsSkill = false;. If need be, I could make EffectSkill (poison, weak, zombie) or SpecialSkill even (where I'd write individual functions for special skills, like for ones which let you control enemies or something).

From what I do understand though, your way of creating skills seems to be way more open, which sounds really great. I'm just not sure how you'd be able to keep that openness without making a different class for every single skill.

Again, sorry if I'm missing your point here. I'd appreciate it if you could clarify things for me. Edited by GKANG

I love what you did with the applySkill function calls here, it looks super efficient. It seems you could make good use of polymorphism with this approach too. I like how you can basically keep adding layers on top of each Skill object you make, giving tons of customisation, without the need to keep track of all of those variables in a single class. Am I correct in thinking that things like status effects etc. wouldn't need to be included in the main ISkill inheritence tree? You could just call applyEffect(Poison) within applySkill of any specific skill, right?

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help (and everyone else who helped in this thread). You've really clarified things and given me a bunch of options to play with - I feel a lot more confident now (:

[quote name='GKANG' timestamp='1336770832' post='4939413']
Am I correct in thinking that things like status effects etc. wouldn't need to be included in the main ISkill inheritence tree?
[/quote]

You can. It's up to you how to design it. You can create a new class StatusEffect that implements ISkill, and this class will have common attributes for status effects like duration, damage +/-, and so on. Then if there's a special status effect that requires extra code, it can inherit from the main StatusEffect class, and add extra code as necessary.

I'd do it this way, so I can have an array of ISkill in the Actor class, and just iterates through it every frame calling applySkill(this);

[quote]
You could just call applyEffect(Poison) within applySkill of any specific skill, right?
[/quote]

Yes, that's up to your implementation details. Edited by alnite

[quote]I'd do it this way, so I can have an array of ISkill in the Actor class, and just iterates through it [b]every frame[/b] calling applySkill(this);[/quote]

Getting a little lost again, probably due to my limited c++ experience. Are you talking about an array which holds each skill known by the actor? It's the latter half of the sentence that has me thrown, particularly the bold. From what I understand, I'd have to make an object of a class (say, UberFireball TheSkill;), then add TheSkill to the array of ISkill (maybe ISkill LearnSkills[5];). I'm using a vector to hold my skills at the moment. But yeah, uh, I think I'm way off here and what you said has something to do with actually executing the skill.

Thanks for your patience man, I'm learning a lot.

[quote name='GKANG' timestamp='1336780140' post='4939454']
[quote]I'd do it this way, so I can have an array of ISkill in the Actor class, and just iterates through it [b]every frame[/b] calling applySkill(this);[/quote]

Getting a little lost again, probably due to my limited c++ experience. Are you talking about an array which holds each skill known by the actor?
[/quote]

Sorry for the confusion. We were talking about status effects. So a character may have a couple of those at a given time (e.g. poisoned, diseased, and haste). Each character then will have a list of the currently active status effects, and you would need to iterate through this list once every frame to 'update' the effect.

[CODE]
std::vector<ISkill*> status_effects;
for (ISkill* s : status_effects) {
s->applySkill(this);
}

[/CODE]