Reputation++ for logging in? Really?

Started by
80 comments, last by Gaiiden 11 years, 10 months ago
Taxes do promote behavioral changes, but the consequences are often hard to predict.
The Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 repealed the Section 121 exclusion and section 1034 rollover rules, and replaced them with a $500,000 married/$250,000 single exclusion of capital gains on the sale of a home, available once every two years. This made housing the only investment which escaped capital gains. These tax laws encouraged people to buy expensive, fully mortgaged homes, as well as invest in second homes and investment properties, as opposed to investing in stocks, bonds, or other assets.[/quote]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes_of_the_United_States_housing_bubble#Housing_tax_policy
Advertisement
I do have a question Michael. In Stack Overflow, you can upvote a question, if you feel it's a good question. Will we be able to do the same thing here? If yes, will the GD.Net search be tweaked to search for posts based on vote count? We had the option to rate a thread, but that looks like it is gone now. Though is a bit different than the SO way of rating a post/thread.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

I do have a question Michael. In Stack Overflow, you can upvote a question, if you feel it's a good question. Will we be able to do the same thing here? If yes, will the GD.Net search be tweaked to search for posts based on vote count? We had the option to rate a thread, but that looks like it is gone now. Though is a bit different than the SO way of rating a post/thread.

We do have a Q&A format that is complete but we're giving it a little time to roll out so we can explain everything new. We have a few more ways to earn points, then the revamped article system and method for publishing, and then the Q&A.

What we haven't decided yet is how to best expose particular threads. TBH, most people find forum threads through google so our Q&A approach is going to be geared towards making posts have a lasting value. The idea of Stackoverflow as a wiki is one that we like, which also changes the idea that we all individually own our own posts.

In the past we've talked about the idea of mining our forums for gem material but never could come up with a meaningful way to do it. If we allow posts to be improved and answers to be selected, at least we can create a pretty good snapshot view of both the question and final answer without having to read through all the discussion to derive the final working solution. Our style will be closer to the MSDN-style than Stackoverflow however, since we still want to promote discussion.. where stackoverflow could care less about discussion.

Here's what that Q&A looks like btw.. note that the gray checkmark which is used to select a post as answer will only display for people who have earned a sufficient number of scholar points (points awarded for providing good and helpful posts)

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:8570]
I take it that a person could select more than one post as an answer?

Also,

Now, as far as points that can be earned, can users get an extra point for joining and taking part in workshops? Game Dev Competitions, IOTD, demos, or completed games?

Will the bolded be considered....?

For now the person asking the question cannot select an answer. Outside neutral observers with the mark as answer privilege can select an answer as an answer. This was a pretty big discussion among the moderators and there are pros and cons on either side. That is something though that we'll have to take a look at to make sure questions are at least having marked answers. It will take a sufficiently large enough pool of high-rated members to be able to select correct answers.

As far as what can earn points, EVERYTHING is on the table. It's just a matter of working it into the system. From your list IOTD is going to be a definite. Workshop completion, competitions, demos, and completed games are harder to track so I don't have an answer how we'd do that. However, down the road when we have article competitions you will get bonus points (as well as prizes) for winning for the month.
Maybe I missed it, but is there a way to view who rated me up in general, or at a specific post? It would be good to know, not because I can return the "favour" but it is more rewarding for me to get rated up by a user I respect than simply getting a point boost. I'm a hobbyist, so I guess I still need that feedback about my ideas/knowledge/opinions without directly asking for it.

And how is that "rating from a higher rep user means more points" work? I got a +1 for a post, that was presented as a +3 in my rep panel, but my points increased by 4...

[quote name='Alpha_ProgDes' timestamp='1337135481' post='4940562']

For now the person asking the question cannot select an answer. Outside neutral observers with the mark as answer privilege can select an answer as an answer. This was a pretty big discussion among the moderators and there are pros and cons on either side. That is something though that we'll have to take a look at to make sure questions are at least having marked answers. It will take a sufficiently large enough pool of high-rated members to be able to select correct answers.

As far as what can earn points, EVERYTHING is on the table. It's just a matter of working it into the system. From your list IOTD is going to be a definite. Workshop completion, competitions, demos, and completed games are harder to track so I don't have an answer how we'd do that. However, down the road when we have article competitions you will get bonus points (as well as prizes) for winning for the month.
[/quote]

Not to be anal, but will these privileged people be able to select two or more posts as an answer to a question. Or will it be restricted to one question, one answer? Outside of that, I like everything that you said and am hoping to see it!

Oh. Do we have a demos section on this site? Are you planning to have one? I know the Marketplace is not for games but for assets and resources. But having people being able to make demos of their games and post them would still be beneficial to the site. Don't you think?

And how is that "rating from a higher rep user means more points" work? I got a +1 for a post, that was presented as a +3 in my rep panel, but my points increased by 4...

It should say +4 in your panel. I will have to update some code to reflect the correct value. This was due to a change I made last night (which introduced this bug).

On an individual post the counts you see is the number of upvotes, not how many points those upvotes gave you.

Not to be anal, but will these privileged people be able to select two or more posts as an answer to a question. Or will it be restricted to one question, one answer? Outside of that, I like everything that you said and am hoping to see it!

Oh. Do we have a demos section on this site? Are you planning to have one? I know the Marketplace is not for games but for assets and resources. But having people being able to make demos of their games and post them would still be beneficial to the site. Don't you think?

Users with privs can select multiple posts as an answer. Marked answers will not display as answers until 24 hours of discussion have elapsed from the original posting time.. so as not to dissuade other people from continuing to provide solid advice.

We used to have a game showcase but because we didn't give it enough love we opted to temporarily take it down. Our plan is to bring it back down the road after we've taken care of some of this years major objectives.
I noticed something "odd". I upvoted ApochPiQ's post in the "Am I overengineering..." thread. Then, immediately, my rep points went up by +1. Is that by design?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement