Reputation++ for logging in? Really?

Started by
80 comments, last by Gaiiden 11 years, 10 months ago
What about keeping the numerical representation an aggregate, but displaying the breakdown as a small, minimalist (sparkline-like) bar chart alongside? (My tuppenceworth: I think the new system is far too complex to bother learning, so it's not going to nudge my behaviour in any direction.)
[TheUnbeliever]
Advertisement

For example: If I want Scholar and Author points shown, I'd just check those two categories. Then my points would show and there would be two color-coded thin bars under the score to show which categories they came from. Blue = scholar, Orange = Author.

So I have to remember, "High orange numbers in a technical thread mean nothing. High blue numbers mean something."

Why not just show only the number that corresponds to the forum? In the lounge, you show participation points, in For Beginners, General Programming, and etc... you show those points.
Or better yet, show all four points colored, but have the points that "belong" to that sub-forum be a slightly larger font.

Example:
ratingb.png

And if you can also show only the points received from a specific sub-forum, show that as well. In my opinion, it'll provide much better "at a glance" knowledge, and be more accurate at who is knowledgeable.

rating2x.png

I may have 500 points in technical 'scholar'ly know-how, from helping out with C++ questions in For Beginners and General Programming, or SDL and SFML api questions, but that Scholar rating is just misleading if I'm talking about Artificial Intelligence or Direct X, which is why in the Direct X forum, you should also show Direct X subforum specific points (that contribute to Scholar points, but shown separated out when in that forum).
Remembering which color goes with what category is not hard. Especially since repetition will have you remember it anyway. Plus someone could always hover over the bar which would produce a tooltip that says what category that color belongs to.

With that said, I actually like your idea. Admittedly, it's alot more easy to see. However, I believe Michael (IIRC) said he wanted to show the info in a compact way. Hence, my suggestion.

Since you can already see what thread your points came from it shouldn't be too hard to aggregate and categorize the points, as you, me, or Dragonsoulj suggested.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Hey, this is a game development site isnt it? Coming up next.. every person will get an avatar character that will represent them. You first choose the character and customize, then equip the character by buying upgrades in a character store using the points you have available in the different categories. Participation points would buy different things than scholar points.. ;)

Equip your barbarian avatar with the ban hammer (moderator) and a pet lounge lizard.. (kidding of course!!)

Equip your barbarian avatar with the ban hammer (moderator) and a pet lounge lizard.. (kidding of course!!)

Well one supposes given a barbarian's (supposed) difficulty with counting that we could utilise graphics to demonstrate expertise in the relevant forum. Examples:

• Barbarian hitting own head with hammer = non-expert in relevant forum.
  • Barbarian hitting Lounge lizard = moderating activity taking place.
  • Barbarian standing on pile of skulls = I am good enough to help you.

etc. etc.

--------------------------

It may not have been said but I for one am liking the rollout of the reputation system (ignoring the isolated bugs) so far and am interested in how it all pans out esp. what measures are/are not implemented with regard this thread's responses by so many parties.

One aspect I think some of us keep forgetting is that our ability to upvote/downvote posts is the most immediate and clearly identifiable way of showing a thread's response as valuable/helpful or not. If I see someone with a decent rep having a post that has been downchecked a number of times then should I respect the person for sage advice given their rep number (regardless of how broken down it is into category/forum etc) and ignore that the post was downchecked. Anyone can have a brain-fart and make an error or give bad advice and given the english skills of some of the thread's originators it is not surprising misinterpretation happens.

Barbarian draws cave painting = Author of this article.

Hey, this is a game development site isnt it? Coming up next.. every person will get an avatar character that will represent them. You first choose the character and customize, then equip the character by buying upgrades in a character store using the points you have available in the different categories. Participation points would buy different things than scholar points.. ;)

So when one buys things with their reputation points.... they don't lose those points. Do they? :( Or does your points unlock new equipment for you to get? :)

Also, if we have avatars with equipment, do we also get (RPG-like) stats? Leveling-up stats? Avatar fighting arenas?

<br /> So when one buys things with their reputation points.... they don't lose those points. Do they? :( Or does your points unlock new equipment for you to get? :)<br />

Well as long as we are going down this path.. let's just say it's like allocating skill points. If you unequip something then you can get those points back.

lol.. gdnet avatar fighting? haha

[quote name='Alpha_ProgDes' timestamp='1337898929' post='4943033']<br /> So when one buys things with their reputation points.... they don't lose those points. Do they? sad.png Or does your points unlock new equipment for you to get? smile.png<br />

Well as long as we are going down this path.. let's just say it's like allocating skill points. If you unequip something then you can get those points back.[/quote]
Hmm, I'm not sure I like that. My rep suffers if I have an avatar. No sir, don't like.

lol.. gdnet avatar fighting? haha
[/quote]
I iz sad and confused. We're a game dev site and a game-idea gets a "haha, noob" response. :(

<br /> I iz sad and confused. We're a game dev site and a game-idea gets a "haha, noob" response. :( <br />

I was just thinking out loud when I mentioned the equipable avatars.. it wasn't something we had planned but sounded like a fun idea. When I mentioned anything it was more just mentioning hypothetical ways it might work. I thought the idea of fighting avatars sounded fun. =)

[quote name='Alpha_ProgDes' timestamp='1337910790' post='4943106']<br /> I iz sad and confused. We're a game dev site and a game-idea gets a "haha, noob" response. sad.png <br />

I was just thinking out loud when I mentioned the equipable avatars.. it wasn't something we had planned but sounded like a fun idea. When I mentioned anything it was more just mentioning hypothetical ways it might work. I thought the idea of fighting avatars sounded fun. =)
[/quote]
<tangent>If zer0wolf's 72 hour game competition has the theme of "GameDev.net" I know exactly what I'm doing... complete with ban hammers, floorcaek, the secret EAT ROPE cheat, and characters like the uber-fast SiCrane, unfairly over-powerful Washu with a level over 9000, the drunken owl, and others. There would be two game modes: campaign where you have to fend off football spammers while guiding the n00bie through the C++ minefield, and arcade where you have to finish the MP3 beating compression algorithm so that you can get back to hearing the sound in your HTML hockey MMO...</tangent>

On a less tangential note, I really like the things Servant of the Lord and Alpha_ProgDes have mentioned. It does seem like a lot of information to take in though, and separating the categories defeats the purpose of the +100 rep people get for joining GD (if they have 100 showing in participation, and get downvoted in a technical forum, they'd still have 100 -1 0 0 showing, and you might as well not even do the +100 in the first place).

I thought about showing "Reputation: 415 (724 total)" (where 415 is the relevant rep, and 724 is the total rep, and a mouse-over would show the rep in each category), but a new guy could still easily have "Reputation: -1 (105)" in a technical forum, which would again defeat the purpose of the initial +100 rep.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement