Sign in to follow this  
alvaro

Reputation++ for logging in? Really?

[quote name='Michael Tanczos' timestamp='1337893239' post='4943009']
Hey, this is a game development site isnt it? Coming up next.. every person will get an avatar character that will represent them. You first choose the character and customize, then equip the character by buying upgrades in a character store using the points you have available in the different categories. Participation points would buy different things than scholar points.. ;)

Equip your barbarian avatar with the ban hammer (moderator) and a pet lounge lizard.. (kidding of course!!)
[/quote]

So when one buys things with their reputation points.... they don't lose those points. Do they? :( Or does your points unlock new equipment for you to get? :)

Also, if we have avatars with equipment, do we also get (RPG-like) stats? Leveling-up stats? Avatar fighting arenas?

[quote name='Alpha_ProgDes' timestamp='1337898929' post='4943033']<br /> So when one buys things with their reputation points.... they don't lose those points. Do they? :( Or does your points unlock new equipment for you to get? :)<br />[/quote]

Well as long as we are going down this path.. let's just say it's like allocating skill points. If you unequip something then you can get those points back.

lol.. gdnet avatar fighting? haha

[quote name='Michael Tanczos' timestamp='1337909133' post='4943093']
[quote name='Alpha_ProgDes' timestamp='1337898929' post='4943033']<br /> So when one buys things with their reputation points.... they don't lose those points. Do they? [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/sad.png[/img] Or does your points unlock new equipment for you to get? [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img]<br />[/quote]

Well as long as we are going down this path.. let's just say it's like allocating skill points. If you unequip something then you can get those points back.[/quote]
Hmm, I'm not sure I like that. My rep suffers if I have an avatar. No sir, don't like.

[quote]lol.. gdnet avatar fighting? haha
[/quote]
I iz sad and confused. We're a game dev site and a game-idea gets a "haha, noob" response. :(

[quote name='Alpha_ProgDes' timestamp='1337910790' post='4943106']<br /> I iz sad and confused. We're a game dev site and a game-idea gets a "haha, noob" response. :( <br />[/quote]

I was just thinking out loud when I mentioned the equipable avatars.. it wasn't something we had planned but sounded like a fun idea. When I mentioned anything it was more just mentioning hypothetical ways it might work. I thought the idea of fighting avatars sounded fun. =) Edited by Michael Tanczos

[quote name='Michael Tanczos' timestamp='1337911351' post='4943112']
[quote name='Alpha_ProgDes' timestamp='1337910790' post='4943106']<br /> I iz sad and confused. We're a game dev site and a game-idea gets a "haha, noob" response. [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/sad.png[/img] <br />[/quote]

I was just thinking out loud when I mentioned the equipable avatars.. it wasn't something we had planned but sounded like a fun idea. When I mentioned anything it was more just mentioning hypothetical ways it might work. I thought the idea of fighting avatars sounded fun. =)
[/quote]
<tangent>If zer0wolf's 72 hour game competition has the theme of "GameDev.net" I know exactly what I'm doing... complete with ban hammers, floorcaek, the secret EAT ROPE cheat, and characters like the uber-fast SiCrane, unfairly over-powerful Washu with a level over 9000, the drunken owl, and others. There would be two game modes: campaign where you have to fend off football spammers while guiding the n00bie through the C++ minefield, and arcade where you have to finish the MP3 beating compression algorithm so that you can get back to hearing the sound in your HTML hockey MMO...</tangent>

On a less tangential note, I really like the things Servant of the Lord and Alpha_ProgDes have mentioned. It does seem like a lot of information to take in though, and separating the categories defeats the purpose of the +100 rep people get for joining GD (if they have 100 showing in participation, and get downvoted in a technical forum, they'd still have 100 -1 0 0 showing, and you might as well not even do the +100 in the first place).

I thought about showing "Reputation: 415 (724 total)" (where 415 is the relevant rep, and 724 is the total rep, and a mouse-over would show the rep in each category), but a new guy could still easily have "Reputation: -1 (105)" in a technical forum, which would again defeat the purpose of the initial +100 rep. Edited by Cornstalks

Ratings on Journal posts are kind of wonky as well. Still has the old icon and I'm not certain how it applies. It's my opinion that a journal ++ rating should be of a greater bonus than your average forum post though.

Oh true, that's probably why I noticed that your entry can have likes but the number won't display them, tho you can click it to see them if they're there