Sign in to follow this  

Where to begin?

This topic is 2038 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys, I'm new to game programming and would like to know where to get started. If anyone has any recommendations for me, that would be great! I know i should learn C++ or Lua or something but dont know the basics. Thanks!

I started with the online tutorials at cplusplus.com until they got too hard for me to understand (I think it was when I hit arrays / pointers when I started). If you find that they get too hard as well, you can go watch some YouTube tutorials (TheNewBoston is pretty good). This is the best way to learn for free.

The best way, however, is to buy some books. They're expensive, but definitely worth it. If you have the money, it's also worthwhile buying a couple to read at the same time. When I was reading through my first book, I got completely lost at times, but the other book explained the problem in a much clearer fashion. Plus, each book tends to go into more detail in different subjects than the others, so you'll learn more that way too.

One important tip is to [i]actually type code while learning[/i]. Even if you're watching your first Hello World! video, type what the guy in the video does. It really helps a lot with memorizing things and gets you eager to change things here and there. Experimentation is the key to learning the language, making things work. Edited by GKANG

[quote name='Beardo13' timestamp='1336704063' post='4939186']
C++ or Lua
[/quote]
When you really want to learn the basics, C++ is not the easiest way to start. There're a lot of hurdles you need to take, i.e. installing a compiler/ide etc., before you can start.

For your first steps I would sugguest to take a look at Lua first, it is easy to install and quite easy to learn.

Next I would sugguest to take a look at java. With the JDK you are able to write, compile and run java program with the help of a simple text editor.

[quote name='Ashaman73' timestamp='1336714579' post='4939209']
[quote name='Beardo13' timestamp='1336704063' post='4939186']
C++ or Lua
[/quote]
When you really want to learn the basics, C++ is not the easiest way to start. There're a lot of hurdles you need to take, i.e. installing a compiler/ide etc., before you can start.

For your first steps I would sugguest to take a look at Lua first, it is easy to install and quite easy to learn.

Next I would sugguest to take a look at java. With the JDK you are able to write, compile and run java program with the help of a simple text editor.
[/quote]

I agree. C++ to start isn't really the easiest. In college my first language was Python. Python is a very simple syntax but if you want a language that's maybe a bit bigger, then go with Java as Ashaman said.

I would recommend learning assembler as well. It helps understand pointers to the T. Without knowing how a computer really works internally, pointers will always seem a bit elusive.
I knew assembler before I knew C/C++ and never really had trouble understanding pointers themselves but only the way C approaches them which can be convoluted at times compared to assembly.

[quote name='Beardo13' timestamp='1336930050' post='4939831']
thanks, and what program should i run/download? My friend says to "stay away from gamemaker!"
[/quote]
Well it is almost useless for learning programming, but it is good to learn the idea how do games work.

This topic is 2038 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.