WIP: Stranded

Started by
-1 comments, last by TylerRed 11 years, 11 months ago

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Hey all,
I just wanted to share a little bit of information about a game that is very very early in its development (so early I don't have any delicious eye candy to share with you). The game's (working) title is Stranded. The way to describe it in a nutshell is a cross between Minecraft and King of Dragon Pass.

Premise:
The player and a variety of characters have all crash-landed on a (randomly-generated) uncharted planet. The player will explore the world, gathering resources in an attempt to fend off starvation and dehydration. While exploration and resource management is a feature, I'm not trying to remake Terraria or Minecraft. The real draw of the game is the interaction between the player and the NPCs and the events that transpire thereof.

All of the NPCs will be randomly generated, from their appearance to their attitudes. You may have some characters who are very forceful and aggressive and others who are passive and compassionate.

The game will present the player with numerous events: Some of these events will be random (a storm swept through and decimated the player's camp) while others are not so random (an NPC has an intense dislike for you and as such threatens to leave your group, taking with him the characters he is close to as well a share of your food). The player will be given always be given a choice of how to respond (perhaps he will try to placate the upset NPC or decide they're better of without him) making each game you play unique and dynamic.

The ultimate goal of the game is to survive for as long as it takes and escape the planet by any means necessary.

Other Info:
The game will be played from a top-down, 2D perspective. It's a Windows (computer) game being programmed in C# using Microsoft's XNA Framework. I really have no way to say when I'll have something playable released (right now, this is a one man project and I am a full time college student; I'm also a notoriously slow worker). Assuming I have something to release at some point I will release it for free; This is something I do in my free time and is in no way my job.

So that's really all I have to say. I just wanted to get my project out there and maybe generate some hype. I'm open to any feedback (although I know I haven't really offered anything too concrete yet).

Thanks everyone![/font]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement