Sign in to follow this  

Game Engine vs Game

This topic is 2043 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So, I'm getting frustrated with my game, so to take a break and yet still be productive, I did some article/forum browsing.
In a lot of posts and many articles I saw repeated something along the lines of: "Beginners should make the game not the engine"
I realize that a lot has to do with the fact that in preexisting engines/systems, much of the technical stuff is already written. But then, you can still take that pre written framework and use it in your own engine.

So what I'm wondering is: What's the difference, from a programmer's perspective, between a game built from code, and a game that was built from an engine. It seems to me like you'd have to do much of the same things. ie. set up a scene graph, create objects, handle input and output. The only difference I could think of, would be with an engine you allow users to alter or use their own assets more easily.

Well, theres my question. Any ideas are appreciated.
Thanks,
Peter

Hi.

I'm not sure what articles it is that you have been reading but in the ones I've come across that talks about engine vs game they aren't talking about implementing an existing engine but rather "Make a game and you'll end up making an engine as well". Are you sure they are talking about using an existing engine?

having said that there is nothing wrong with using an engine, sometimes it's the better choice. It depends on why you are making the game.
If you are making a game to learn how to program games I'd recommend not using an engine, on the other hand if you are only interested in design I don't see anything wrong with using an engine.

Also the difference between using an existing engine vs writing one yourself is that you implement existing functionality rather then defining that functionality first.
I think there is different degree of access though. Some engines surely allows you to change that functionality to a greater extent.

I am kind of novice though so I'm not stating facts but rather personal opinions.

BR / AS. Edited by AlanSmithee

[quote name='destructivArts' timestamp='1336857369' post='4939630']
So what I'm wondering is: What's the difference, from a programmer's perspective, between a game built from code, and a game that was built from an engine. It seems to me like you'd have to do much of the same things. ie. set up a scene graph, create objects, handle input and output. The only difference I could think of, would be with an engine you allow users to alter or use their own assets more easily.
[/quote]
The difference is time and effort. It's a lot more difficult to [i]write[/i] a scene graph than it is to [i]use[/i] a scene graph that someone else has already written. Likewise with creating models, there's a big difference between writing a model loader and just calling Load(model).

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=3][left][background=rgb(250, 251, 252)]Make a game and you'll end up making an engine as well[/background][/left][/size][/font][/color][/quote] When most people say that, they're talking about making a game from scratch, not with the help of an existing engine. And the quote is a little misleading. If you write a game from scratch and design it the right way, you will end up with reusable chunks of code for common things like loading models. But this collection of code snippets isn't an engine, it's just spare parts.

This topic is 2043 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.