Sign in to follow this  

Real Time Combat in MMOS

This topic is 2044 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have very limited knowledge in networking and multiplayer and I am wondering in how much time will it be possible to make MMOs with real time combat. for example an MMO FPS with around 5000 people at a time on each server.

How much time it will take [i]you[/i] to do it? We have the technology to do that right now. Planetside 2 will be releasing with 2000 players per map. The limit is mostly to keep the gameplay sane and balanced.

If you want to code one I'd start learning network programming. If you're targeting for linux servers look into epoll. (Or use boost asio) and start writing some tests. Read the tribes networking article. There was a nice talk covering the basics of optimizing in a recent [url="http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1014345/I-Shot-You-First-Networking"]GDC talk[/url]. A lot of it is just spending more time optimizing and scaling across multiple servers. A big problem you'll hear is O(N^2) networking. Basically supporting say 5000 people shooting in a close radius will really test your networking. You want players to see what's important and sometimes that involves seeing a lot of stuff so you have to design around that. Some games do it through gameplay. That is the game spawns people far away. A lot of this is just open for designing with tons of solutions.

I will point out thought that you can cheat the system and remove the O(n^2) problem of networking if you target your design and programming for a cloud system like OnLive or Gaikai which have O(1) bandwidth costs for unlimited players and you offset that with more hardware costs on the server. With the future there are tons of interestingly complex solutions that weren't available back in the day.

// edit. Do you have a specific question or design problem? There might already be a solution for it if you are having problems with a design problem. Edited by Sirisian

Thanks. I have no intention to make a such game right now. In fact I had ideas floating in my head and was just wondering if its even possible. Edited by KenjiSenpai

This topic is 2044 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.