heading to position transform angle in C++

Started by
29 comments, last by rip-off 11 years, 11 months ago
Yes seems so. Could you tell me how to use cos or sin with the heading value?
Many thanks
Advertisement
No, I can't. I have no idea what you are trying to do.
Hmm, if I would know it much better I'd not need to ask. Narrowed down the problem to, as I said, Sound is not hearable when heading jumps from 360 to 0 degrees.
So I need a way to avoid this gap and get 360-359-358 etc. The solution is probably something very simple...
If you are just trying to transform [0, 360] to [180, -180] then just:

newAngle = 180 - angle;

But what would really help us help you is some context. We can sort of see that you are having a problem with OpenAL, but other than just saying 'Not hearable at certain angles' we have no idea what you are doing vs. what the result is you are trying to achieve. Maybe even draw us some pictures to illustrate the problem?

Spend some time explaining the situation and we can spend more time trying to help. The more information you give us, the more we have to work with.
Waramp.Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes.That way, when you do insult him, you'll be a mile away, and you'll have his shoes.
Thanks but it seems that I need 0-360-0 in other words: ... 359 - 360 - 359 - 358 ...
Currently I get ... 359 - 360 - 0 - 1 ...which I cannot use.
So if 0 +=359, if 1 +=357, if 2 +=355, if 3 += 353 etc. while < 180
Any forumula for that?
Many thanks
In the first post, your question was to map the range 0 to 360 to the range 180 to 0 to -180. In your second post, you now mention the mapping from the range 0 to 360 to the range 0 to 180 to 0 to -180 instead. And now you've mentioned the mapping to the range 0 to 360 to 0 as well.

It sounds very much like you don't know what you want, becuase your question has changed for every answer and follow-up question. Take alvaro's advice and don't ask how to map numbers from one range to another. Instead, describe the problem so that we know what it is you want in the first place.
So what...apparently 0-180- doesn't work, hence I need a solution as posted above.

I tried to change both listener and source to:
newAngle = 180 - angle;
and I don't know why it's not working for now. I still get sound interruptions. Back to:
So if 0 +=359, if 1 +=357, if 2 +=355, if 3 += 353 etc. while < 180
Any forumula for that?
Do you mean you have the angle of the sound (0-360) relative to the camera, but you want to convert it to how many degrees it is from the "directly in front" direction? so if its 90 degrees, it could be 90 degrees to the left or right?

Or what?

o3o

You are in too deep with your current implementation, and it makes luttle sense to someone who isn't in your headspace right now.

Forget about angles for a minute. Talk about the high level goal first, then start talking about how you are currently implementing it.

Talk about concrete domain objects first. So you might have a player, who is a beekeeper, and you have some bees buzzing around, and you want the sound to reflect where the bees are. Then start telling this how you're making angles or whatnot, and we can (probably) tell you a way to do this without angles.
waterlimon. I've given from the gameengine the listener and source positions (x,y,z) and headings in degrees as I said before. Now I only give those positions to listener and sound source and only change the source heading. One in front and one behind. All fine and working only when source heading flips from 360 - 0 sound no longer nicely in-/decreases depending on the listener but is suddenly gone.
Listener and airplane are moving in all directions, hence it's probably the cheapest solution to close the gap 360 - 0 as above. But maybe it can be done much nicer? This
is an old hack which even myself am hard to understand it's logic. I'll go through the code tomorrow again. The listener heading is always towards the airplane, only the airplane rotates.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement