• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Duxa

Need Help...Over Here...... PLZ

29 posts in this topic

I want tomake a Game like Daiblo or Everquest!!I know that I need tons of time and patience!!! I got it all (I think) but hte problem is I dunno where to start and what to use... I already have an idea of what it is gonna be like and what it is gonna have!!! I jsut need to know what to use and where to get software to create it!!! THX alot PS - I know some C++ and use Visual C++97

1. Write down the plot and every other idea
2. Get a compiler..
3. Start coding debugging coding debugging... and coding

Get the game code working first, then work on the graphics later

I got Microsoft Visual C++ 97 compiler!!

What I want ot find out is how to code??? Like how to start out!!!???

how to make a meny etc....

I would like to find out how to make a map edito or wahtever to make a world!! what do I need to use?? and maybe some tutorial or somehting if anyone knows!!?

You should get some books on programming C/C++. I have a few suggestions:

Anything by IDG (the ''For Dummies'' books) and from Sam''s (the ''Teach Yourself ____ In ____ Hours'') books are really good. I have (and love):

"C++ For Dummies Pocket Reference" (which was my only book for about a year, about $7)
"Visual C++ For Dummies" (I got this one a few months ago, great book, about $24)
"Sam''s Teach Yourself C++ In 10 Minutes" (Another pocket reference, about $7)
"Sam''s Teach Yourself Direct X 7 In 24 Hours" (this is what I use most now, about $24)

Invader X
Invader''s Realm

Those book have lots of stuff that I dont even need.. plus it is probably wont even have any info that I need like such as making a map editor!!!!! doesnt anyone know how to make a map editor?? Can someone teach me??

Edited by - Duxa on October 7, 2001 2:19:29 PM

All ur posting are useless comments!!! arrrgggggghhhhh.....
I want to professional to teach me!!!!

I do want ot put work into it!! Its jsut I clearly asked for someone to show me how to make a map editor or show me how they made one or give an example or somehtign like that! But u tell me about books and crap!! Im not dumb and I could figure that out myself!!!

quote:
Original post by Duxa
All ur posting are useless comments!!!

Insulting people who are trying to help you doesn''t help you .

quote:
I do want ot put work into it!!

Prove it. Put work into it. Outline to us what goes into making a game or a map editor. Since you don''t know, shut up and learn.

quote:
Its jsut I clearly asked for someone to show me how to make a map editor or show me how they made one or give an example or somehtign like that! But u tell me about books and crap!!

That books and crap is how. Figure it out, genius.

quote:
Im not dumb and I could figure that out myself!!!

Well...?

Thsi whole entire time Im tryin to figure out what goes into building map editor!!!! I read like 50 pages and been to like 100 sites!!! They all say "To start out start with simple build Tetris type of game" ok but how the fuck do I make a tetris type of game!!!!??????

Look it up. I referred you to the "For Beginners" link, which has articels on how to make games. You said it was useless. I referred you to the "Articles & Resources" link as well. You paid no attention.

This stuff takes time and patience, and you need to follow it through. You only get what you put into it - you can''t make a map editor overnight. Ask anyone who has made any game or editor and you''ll find that they''ve spent a significant amount of time learning and improving.

1st when I said "that didnt help" I refered to teh post above urs! u replied while I was typin it so it apperared under urs!!

2nd I do know that it takes time sometime even years!!! but I dont even know where to start!!!

3rd those links "Here To start" as I said above say to build Tetris game but it doesnt explain how to build it!! no code examples no step by step explanations examples just some screenshot of a game!!

4th U sand even imagine how many things i looked up in Google and ask.com and I searched everywhere and couldnt find anything specifically on creating game editor!!

I''d forget about Diablo, Everquest and that map editor for now.

If you want to make a Tetris clone you can follow the tutorials here:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/forum.asp?forum_id=33

This will take you through it step by step with code examples.

All you need to get through this is Visual C++ (which you said you have) and the directX SDK. You can download directX from Microsoft''s website. That is all you need for now. Plus a whole lot of patience.

If you can''t make it through this then you''re definitely not ready for a map editor.

So now you know what you need and where to go. Get busy!

Ok THX!!
what should I goto after making Tetris clone???
also what is DirectX SDK?? whats SDK??

Edited by - Duxa on October 7, 2001 10:30:53 PM

quote:
Original post by Duxa
Ok THX!!
what should I goto after making Tetris clone???
also what is DirectX SDK?? whats SDK??

Edited by - Duxa on October 7, 2001 10:30:53 PM

my god. calm down. first learn, alot of the programs you make ARENT going to work. ok and you cant just code a program and expect it to run, there WILL be errors. telling us you know SOME C++ doesnt help; just cuz you know how to make a "hello world" app, won do crap for you. read. i dont care how much youve read, read more. read books on game design. calm down and be patient.

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/davegpg/
check that

Edited by - outlawartist on October 8, 2001 1:53:37 AM

Game making equation:
(C++ and OOP)-->(WIN32 and basic design)-->(DirectX/ OpenGL)
[Stage one]----[Stage two]----------------[Stage three]

--> (Advanced C++)-->(Advanced DX like Direct3D)-->(more Design)
[Stage four]------[Stage five]-----------------[Stage six]

--> (Industrial experience) = (Game developer)-->(test and debug)
[Stage seven]---------------[OUTPUT]----------[hehe...]

I welcome any comments about the "equation" as I'm a newbie as well.

The road may be long, wind may be rough. But with a will at heart, all shall begone. ~savage chant

Edited by - savagerx on October 8, 2001 10:10:07 AM

In my opinion, make sure you have a great understanding of c/c++. When you start thinking of making games, once you have the logic of coding, it will not be as difficult. I remember having to looking numberous times in my books just to make a roating cube. Now I know right off the how to setup the lighting, cube cordinates, etc. All the coding is supplementary. Also, you must have a lot of patience. Rome was not built in a day.

-----------------------------
"There are ones that say they can and there are those who actually do."

"...u can not learn programming in a class, you have to learn it on your own."

Christ, what is your problem?!? I''ve been just scanning over this forum, and it just sickens me. All these people are trying to help you, but you''re not listening. You obviously haven''t a single clue about the complexity that is involved in the game creation process. Go buy as many books as you can, I''d reccomend Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus by LaMothe. However, this book isn''t going to help you one single bit if you don''t calm down! Just take this one step at a time. Good luck because you''re really going to need it...
Also, savagerx, I''d have to disagree with you game deveopling equation. Anybody can be a game developer, you don''t have to have industrial experience or advanced dx techniques. I''m a game developer (believe it or not) and while I have written 3d poly engines, I''ve never touched d3d in my life, I don''t really have any intentions of doing so.
Cheers,
-Jesse

The sun is gone, but I have a light,
The day is done, but I''m havin'' fun,
I think I''m dumb... Maybe just happy...
-Kurt

When you are ready to begin making a game, you will know how. Until then, you need to learn as much as you can about the process of game creation.

Yeah i''d say thats all been very helpful....

I''d help you mate but i dont know how myself....yeah read loads of books that use loads of big words and insider jargon...

then come back to this forum and crap on the newbies.... :-P

Imagine if somebody said look mate here is a collection of simple Tutorials.....here is a game that runs...and the code behind it!!

BUt that might help

You know what goes into games and map editors?

Structures, classes, linked lists, arrays, stacks, queues, algorithems, bitwise operators, string manipulation, logical operators, functions, inline functions, macros, asserts, recursion, pointers, storage classes, dynamic memory allocation, file input/output, libraries, dll files, preprocessor definitions, trees, Graphic API's such as DirectX or OpenGL, linear algebra, quantum methods, calc, and physics.

If you don't know what all the above are by heart, and know how to implement them then YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE of making a game or a level editor. It is possible for you to copy code blindly and try to modify it but that lends little to the over all learning experiance. What you NEED TO DO is go and buy a book. Start out making "stupid" text programs until you finish everything in the book, and know it inside out. Then you will be ready to move on to bigger and better things like games and level editors.

If you are looking for someone to teach you, it's not going to happen. It's takes most new programmers a year to learn a language, 6-8 months to learn windows programming, after that it takes about another year or more for them to get to the point where they can create any game they want. There aren't any shortcuts. If you miss something at the beginning because you think it's "Not needed". Your going to regret it later.

Edited by - evaclear on October 11, 2001 9:23:45 AM