Need Help...Over Here...... PLZ

Started by
28 comments, last by Duxa 22 years, 6 months ago
In my opinion, make sure you have a great understanding of c/c++. When you start thinking of making games, once you have the logic of coding, it will not be as difficult. I remember having to looking numberous times in my books just to make a roating cube. Now I know right off the how to setup the lighting, cube cordinates, etc. All the coding is supplementary. Also, you must have a lot of patience. Rome was not built in a day.

-----------------------------
"There are ones that say they can and there are those who actually do."

"...u can not learn programming in a class, you have to learn it on your own."

-----------------------------"There are ones that say they can and there are those who actually do.""...u can not learn programming in a class, you have to learn it on your own."
Advertisement
Christ, what is your problem?!? I''ve been just scanning over this forum, and it just sickens me. All these people are trying to help you, but you''re not listening. You obviously haven''t a single clue about the complexity that is involved in the game creation process. Go buy as many books as you can, I''d reccomend Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus by LaMothe. However, this book isn''t going to help you one single bit if you don''t calm down! Just take this one step at a time. Good luck because you''re really going to need it...
Also, savagerx, I''d have to disagree with you game deveopling equation. Anybody can be a game developer, you don''t have to have industrial experience or advanced dx techniques. I''m a game developer (believe it or not) and while I have written 3d poly engines, I''ve never touched d3d in my life, I don''t really have any intentions of doing so.
Cheers,
-Jesse
The sun is gone, but I have a light,
The day is done, but I''m havin'' fun,
I think I''m dumb... Maybe just happy...
-Kurt
When you are ready to begin making a game, you will know how. Until then, you need to learn as much as you can about the process of game creation.
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
Yeah i''d say thats all been very helpful....

I''d help you mate but i dont know how myself....yeah read loads of books that use loads of big words and insider jargon...

then come back to this forum and crap on the newbies.... :-P

Imagine if somebody said look mate here is a collection of simple Tutorials.....here is a game that runs...and the code behind it!!

BUt that might help
You know what goes into games and map editors?

Structures, classes, linked lists, arrays, stacks, queues, algorithems, bitwise operators, string manipulation, logical operators, functions, inline functions, macros, asserts, recursion, pointers, storage classes, dynamic memory allocation, file input/output, libraries, dll files, preprocessor definitions, trees, Graphic API's such as DirectX or OpenGL, linear algebra, quantum methods, calc, and physics.

If you don't know what all the above are by heart, and know how to implement them then YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE of making a game or a level editor. It is possible for you to copy code blindly and try to modify it but that lends little to the over all learning experiance. What you NEED TO DO is go and buy a book. Start out making "stupid" text programs until you finish everything in the book, and know it inside out. Then you will be ready to move on to bigger and better things like games and level editors.

If you are looking for someone to teach you, it's not going to happen. It's takes most new programmers a year to learn a language, 6-8 months to learn windows programming, after that it takes about another year or more for them to get to the point where they can create any game they want. There aren't any shortcuts. If you miss something at the beginning because you think it's "Not needed". Your going to regret it later.

Edited by - evaclear on October 11, 2001 9:23:45 AM
Joseph FernaldSoftware EngineerRed Storm Entertainment.------------------------The opinions expressed are that of the person postingand not that of Red Storm Entertainment.
Im just interested to hear what Drizzt has to say about this guy....
The best way to learn, at least for me, is to look at codes beyond your current abilities, and from what you learn from the more complex code, apply it to some basics. Eventually the complex code won't be complex anymore, and thats when you move on to the more complex. It usually takes about a year to be really good with it, but requires alot of patience and understanding. You need to realize things will not make sense when you start out...it seems fustrating, but in the end, if you really want to do something like this, it will be worth it.

Edited by - Soul Blade on October 11, 2001 1:41:07 AM
Observing code can be good and bad. You can learn a lot of nifty techniques from the code of others, but you can also learn a lot of bad habits if you follow them too closely (such as all the aspiring developers who rushed to study Carmack''s Doom and Quake source.)

Proper coding practices stem from a proper understanding of programming principles, which are not learnt from code; they''re learnt from good books and better professors.
Yeah i agree....but some code helps.....not everybody is the same...

Looking at code works for me though!!
"...or give an example or somehtign like that!"
"Im not dumb and I could figure that out myself!!!"

Here, have some tetris source code. It''s "somehtign" for you to figure out. Please tell us how well you understand it.

(use winrar to read the archive)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement