Sign in to follow this  
Promit

Unreal Engine 4

Amr0    2230
[quote name='L. Spiro' timestamp='1339258152' post='4947683']
Both engines look great, and it gives me some goals for my own engine.
[/quote]
Completely off-topic: I clicked the link to your engine but I can't see any pictures?

L. Spiro    25621
Inside the blog posts.
[url="http://lspiroengine.com/?p=464"]http://lspiroengine.com/?p=464[/url]

Bear in mind that graphics are just a part of the whole, and so the simple graphics I have posted do not represent the full extents of the engine at all.

L. Spiro

coderchris    304
In the original voxel cone tracing demo, they add dynamic objects to the voxel octree by injecting the voxels, then rebuilding the octree, which allows dynamic objects to cast indirect light (aka the moving hand).

Assuming UE4 uses this same method, I'm a bit worried about the performance implications in terms of dynamic objects. In their demo, they don't see to have problems because there's only a handful of dynamic objects. But, if you wanted to have a building collapse, or just a room full of boxes... I'm skeptical that you would be able to inject that many objects and rebuild the octree in a reasonable amount of time. We'll see.

Nevertheless, their implementation is really sweet...

FreneticPonE    3294
[quote name='coderchris' timestamp='1339426775' post='4948177']
In the original voxel cone tracing demo, they add dynamic objects to the voxel octree by injecting the voxels, then rebuilding the octree, which allows dynamic objects to cast indirect light (aka the moving hand).

Assuming UE4 uses this same method, I'm a bit worried about the performance implications in terms of dynamic objects. In their demo, they don't see to have problems because there's only a handful of dynamic objects. But, if you wanted to have a building collapse, or just a room full of boxes... I'm skeptical that you would be able to inject that many objects and rebuild the octree in a reasonable amount of time. We'll see.
[/quote]

I'm fairly certain that this is the bottleneck they solved. The demo, as you said, didn't seem to have any problem, and is apparently running on a single gtx 680 with all that other stuff going on. The paper's method slowed to an absolute crawl on GTX 480 when absolutely anything was moved.