Getting Started

Started by
4 comments, last by Hairan 11 years, 11 months ago
[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]Hello this is my first post on this forum (just registered).[/background][/font]

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]I am 17 years old and i want to seriously work as a game programmer or game designer.[/background][/font]

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]1. First thing i would like to ask you is what would be the best programming language for me to learn first? [/background][/font]

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)](I have in mind how programming works..i had started Pascal and C++ without problem but nothing too serious cause i had to study for school).[/background][/font]

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]I know that C++ is the language used for creating games in pc,concoles. But many people say that it is not appropriate for a begginer language.[/background][/font]

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]With that being said, i [/background][/font]probably [color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]should start learning another language first and then go to C++, which language do you recommend me? (I am thinking about starting with C#.)[/background][/font]

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]2. Because i live in Greece and here game development does not exist i cant join any game company. So i will have to create a game on my own to break in the game industry. I am thinking about creating a JRPG style game (2d game) in RPG Maker [/background][/font][color="#FF0000"][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]after [/background][/font][color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]i learn programming first. Is there a better RPG engine than RPG Maker? [/background][/font]

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]I want when i will be around 19-20 years old to start creating the game and have all the required knowledge to make the game. I have already start creating the concept and the story.[/background][/font]

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]I know i am a bit hasty but the situation in Greece right now makes us to plan for the future from now...[/background][/font]

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]Sorry if i have any grammar,spelling errors. English is not my native language. Thanks in advance! [/background][/font][color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)] [/background][/font][color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]biggrin.png[/background][/font]

Failure is not an option...

Advertisement

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]2. Because i live in Greece and here game development does not exist i cant join any game company.[/background][/font]

That's not true. Check gamedevmap and gameindustrymap. There are game companies in Greece. But yes, you can't join them, because you aren't ready yet.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Well now that i see there are some companies out there tongue.png . I only knew about Aventurine. But most of these companies make small facebook/broswer games which really do not represent me. laugh.png

Aventurine is making a pretty ground breaking MMO these days =)

1. Python, Java and C# is commonly sugested as good beginner languages.
For the Windows platform I would probably suggest C# over the others.

2. There is a _lot_ of game engines out there. I would say you should worry about that later.
If you learn C#, Unity would be a good example of an interesting engine for a low budget. But again, there is hundreds of them.

BTW. Greece will always be the number one european target for tourism, thats probably why germany want's a piece of it
Any suggestions for a good C# begginner book? i have been thinking about this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1449380344/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_g14_i4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1N0KNYNW5YZNFFF3Y4QH&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Greece is getting worse every day.... unsure.png

As others said C# is a quite easy language to get started with. And once you get a hold of one learning another will be much easier. I haven't read any books while learning C# so I can't recommend any. If you wanna learn C# I would recommend: http://msdn.microsof...studio/hh341490 it is up to date and there are very much content and in my opinion easy to follow.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement