Sign in to follow this  

OpenGL Trapezoid uvs preservation

This topic is 2060 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi All,

I am trying to create [url="http://www.xyzw.us/~cass/qcoord/"]this [/url]effect on Opengl ES, without any success.

basically I have created a quad which is built up from two tri's.

my goal is to distort the vertices as I wise, but the uv's needs to react accordingly ( as the link shows ).

I have read lots on information online, but not managed to preform the task.

Any help would be great...

tnx :)

Um, the source code on the linked site is not helping? I don't know about openGL ES, but that link would have been the first link I would have posted. I'd be surprised if ES didn't support r,q coordinates.

Hi,

OpenGL ES does not work with the fixed pipe line. So I can't use glTexCoord4f.
Also, ES does not supports Quads ( Only Tri's ).
Is there a way to achieve this effect on OGL ES ?

I have read about the algorithm "[background=rgb(247, 247, 247)][font="verdana, helvetica, sans-serif"][size="2"][color="#000000"]Direct Linear Transform" but I'm not sure it is possible for a quad that built up from 2 triangles.[/color][/size][/font][/background]

The issues you brought up are not issues at all. A texture coordinate is a texture coordinate, so even if you cannot use glTexCoord, you still have access yo vertex arrays, and whether or not you draw quads or triangles, the effect is still the same given the same coordinates.

I'm sorry, I'm confused... I have read to many resources, and I think I mixed them all.

this is the quad I defined:

<code>

SetPoints( vec3<float>(-20.0f , -10.0f, 0.0f),
vec3<float>(-10.0f , 10.0f, 0.0f),
vec3<float>( 10.0f , 10.0f, 0.0f),
vec3<float>( 20.0f , -10.0f, 0.0f) );

vTxCoords_.push_back(vec4<float>( 0.0f , 0.0f,1.0f,1.0f));
vTxCoords_.push_back(vec4<float>( 0.0f , 1.0f,1.0f,1.0f));
vTxCoords_.push_back(vec4<float>( 1.0f , 1.0f,1.0f,1.0f));
vTxCoords_.push_back(vec4<float>( 1.0f , 0.0f,1.0f,1.0f));

// Populate the indices for 2 triangles
Face s;

s.uIndex[0] = 0; s.uIndex[1] = 1; s.uIndex[2] = 3;
pGeo->vFaces.push_back(s);

s.uIndex[0] = 3; s.uIndex[1] = 2; s.uIndex[2] = 1; // also try s.uIndex[0] = 3; s.uIndex[1] = 1; s.uIndex[2] = 2;
</code>

the shader is a simple shader that uses texture2D function (texture2D( DiffuseColor, vOutTxCoords.xy ).rgb;)

I have tried the set the textCoord manually, but failed.

You're not setting the q-value of the texture coordinate as described in the link. I would say the value for the narrow part of the quad should be 0.5, not 1.0, since that part is half the size of the opposite side of the quad.

edit: The s and t coordinates need to be 0.5 as well, not only the q-coordinate. Edited by Brother Bob

I tried a brute force method, I denied a key for each coord of the texture ( for each vertex ), and tried to set them manually.

every combination that I do, I get a broken texture. looks like the texture is not interpolated as one quad.

(btw: how can I upload a photo to this forum ? )

If you go to the full text editor (not the one on the bottom of the thread-page; click "More Reply Options") you have the option to attach files to your post.

Well. you can easily spot the two triangles.

I have played with the textCoord of each, but I can't make them to fit right. Edited by masterbubu

So what have you tried to to se the texture coordinates to? It looks like the texture coordinates you posted previously, but as I said, and as the link explained, you need to adjust the coordinates for the perspective effect.

I have tried to modified the coords as you suggested, but it did not help.

so then I decided to try the brute force, but did not make any progress on that way :(

[CODE]
SetPoints( vec3<float>(-20.0f , -10.0f, 0.0f), // BottomLeft,
vec3<float>(-10.0f , 10.0f, 0.0f), // TopLeft,
vec3<float>( 10.0f , 10.0f, 0.0f), // TopRight,
vec3<float>( 20.0f , -10.0f, 0.0f) );// BottomRight

vTxCoords_.push_back(vec4<float>( 0.0f , 0.0f,0.0f,1.0f));
vTxCoords_.push_back(vec4<float>( 0.0f , 0.5f,0.0f,0.5f));
vTxCoords_.push_back(vec4<float>( 0.5f , 0.5f,0.0f,0.5f));
vTxCoords_.push_back(vec4<float>( 1.0f , 0.0f,0.0f,1.0f));
[/CODE]

I changed the r component, to 0.

[CODE]
//Setup
SetPoints( vec3<float>(-20.0f , -10.0f, 0.0f), // BottomLeft,
vec3<float>(-10.0f , 10.0f, 0.0f), // TopLeft,
vec3<float>( 10.0f , 10.0f, 0.0f), // TopRight,
vec3<float>( 20.0f , -10.0f, 0.0f) );// BottomRight

vTxCoords_.push_back(vec4<float>( 0.0f , 0.0f,0.0f,1.0f));
vTxCoords_.push_back(vec4<float>( 0.0f , 0.5f,0.0f,0.5f));
vTxCoords_.push_back(vec4<float>( 0.5f , 0.5f,0.0f,0.5f));
vTxCoords_.push_back(vec4<float>( 1.0f , 0.0f,0.0f,1.0f));
Face s;
s.uIndex[0] = 3; s.uIndex[1] = 2; s.uIndex[2] = 1;
uiDrawFacesStartPos = 0;
uiDrawFacesEndPos = pGeo->vFaces.size();
//Draw
... Get/Set the attributes
unsigned int *ptr = &pGeo->vFaces[ uiDrawFacesStartPos ].uIndex[ 0 ];
unsigned int sz = (unsigned int)( uiDrawFacesEndPos - uiDrawFacesStartPos ) *3;
glDrawElements( GL_TRIANGLES, sz, GL_UNSIGNED_INT, ptr );
[/CODE]

The shader is very basic, just use the varying textCoord in the function texture2D

diffuse = texture2D( DiffuseColor, vOutTxCoords.xy ).rgb;

if more information is needed, please update me.

tnx :)

Well, you haven't looked at the source code, or you haven't studied it in any depth.

The code clearly suggests (without reading the article) that the texture coordinates depend on the vertex coordinates. You just use independent values for the coordinates. I don't really understand why can't you just copy the coordinates and calculations from the source code (I know it's not a good way to learn, but et least you had something that you can experiment with). Edited by szecs

Well I already tried that:

[CODE]
// Setup
// Globals
float top = .3;
float scale_texcoord = 1.f;

vTxCoords_.push_back(vec4<float>( -1.0f , -1.0f ,0.0f,1.0f));
vTxCoords_.push_back(vec4<float>( -1.0f , 1.0f ,0.0f,1.0f));
vTxCoords_.push_back(vec4<float>( 1.0f , 1.0f ,0.0f,1.0f));
vTxCoords_.push_back(vec4<float>( 1.0f , -1.0f ,0.0f,1.0f));
SetPoints( vec3<float>( -1.0f , -1.0f, 0.0f), // BottomLeft,
vec3<float>( -1.0f , 1.0f, 0.0f), // TopLeft,
vec3<float>( 1.0f , 1.0f, 0.0f), // TopRight,
vec3<float>( 1.0f , -1.0f, 0.0f) );// BottomRight
Face s;
s.uIndex[0] = 3; s.uIndex[1] = 2; s.uIndex[2] = 1;
uiDrawFacesStartPos = 0;
uiDrawFacesEndPos = pGeo->vFaces.size();

//Draw
... Get/Set the attributes
unsigned int *ptr = &pGeo->vFaces[ uiDrawFacesStartPos ].uIndex[ 0 ];
unsigned int sz = (unsigned int)( uiDrawFacesEndPos - uiDrawFacesStartPos ) *3;
glDrawElements( GL_TRIANGLES, sz, GL_UNSIGNED_INT, ptr );

// Update Func
unsigned char keys[256];
GetKeyboardState( keys );
if( keys['1'] & 0x80 )
{
top += .05;
}
if( keys['2'] & 0x80 )
{
top -= .05;
}
float tx = scale_texcoord * top;
// Frist Triangle
pGeo->vGSVerts[0] = vec3<f32>(-1.0f , -1.0f, 0.0f);
pGeo->vGSVerts[1] = vec3<f32>(-top,1,0);
pGeo->vGSVerts[2] = vec3<f32>( top,1,0);
pGeo->vGSVerts[3] = vec3<f32>(1.0f , -1.0f, 0.0f);

vTxCoords_[1].x = -tx;
vTxCoords_[1].y = tx;
vTxCoords_[1].z = 0;
vTxCoords_[1].w = tx;
vTxCoords_[2].x = tx;
vTxCoords_[2].y = tx;
vTxCoords_[2].z = 0;
vTxCoords_[2].w = tx;
[/CODE]

the above code does exactly the same as the tutorial.

you can see on the attachment the result I got.

I have noticed that GL_PERSPECTIVE_CORRECTION_HINT is not available at ES.

maybe its the way I'm drawing may tri's ?

Hmmmm. Is your texture a 8x8 checked texture?
If you, we should see a 16x16 checked texture stretched onto the trapezoid. But the texture is totally off, but the coordinates you specify look okay.

I don't see the problem but I don't think GL_PERSPECTIVE_CORRECTION_HINT has to do anything with that.

Yes, it was 16x16.

I replaced it to 8x8.

hmmm... all looks the same ( beside the GL_QUAD thing ), I'm very lost in here [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/wacko.png[/img]

This turned out to be a debugging question.

I'd try to only control the z and w texture coordinates (with the keyboard, shit I can't speak English today) to see they have any effect at all.
And I'd use a simpler to observe, non symmetric texture too, to see if it's flipped or upside down, etc. This may also be helpful to find the bug. Edited by szecs

You are still only posting small fragments of your your code and there are still important things still missing. But since you at least posted some images with some additional clues (good observation szecs) that one half of the quad is only textured with half the texture, I get a feeling that you're not specifying four-component texture coordinates. The result seems consistent with your texture coordinates if you only take the first two components of them.

Hi, sorry for the late response.

Anyway, my boss decided to drop this thing, so I did not had the time to continue investigating.

tnx you all for the help.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By xhcao
      Does sync be needed to read texture content after access texture image in compute shader?
      My simple code is as below,
      glUseProgram(program.get());
      glBindImageTexture(0, texture[0], 0, GL_FALSE, 3, GL_READ_ONLY, GL_R32UI);
      glBindImageTexture(1, texture[1], 0, GL_FALSE, 4, GL_WRITE_ONLY, GL_R32UI);
      glDispatchCompute(1, 1, 1);
      // Does sync be needed here?
      glUseProgram(0);
      glBindFramebuffer(GL_READ_FRAMEBUFFER, framebuffer);
      glFramebufferTexture2D(GL_READ_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0,
                                     GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_POSITIVE_X + face, texture[1], 0);
      glReadPixels(0, 0, kWidth, kHeight, GL_RED_INTEGER, GL_UNSIGNED_INT, outputValues);

Compute shader is very simple, imageLoad content from texture[0], and imageStore content to texture[1]. Does need to sync after dispatchCompute?
    • By Jonathan2006
      My question: is it possible to transform multiple angular velocities so that they can be reinserted as one? My research is below:
      // This works quat quaternion1 = GEQuaternionFromAngleRadians(angleRadiansVector1); quat quaternion2 = GEMultiplyQuaternions(quaternion1, GEQuaternionFromAngleRadians(angleRadiansVector2)); quat quaternion3 = GEMultiplyQuaternions(quaternion2, GEQuaternionFromAngleRadians(angleRadiansVector3)); glMultMatrixf(GEMat4FromQuaternion(quaternion3).array); // The first two work fine but not the third. Why? quat quaternion1 = GEQuaternionFromAngleRadians(angleRadiansVector1); vec3 vector1 = GETransformQuaternionAndVector(quaternion1, angularVelocity1); quat quaternion2 = GEQuaternionFromAngleRadians(angleRadiansVector2); vec3 vector2 = GETransformQuaternionAndVector(quaternion2, angularVelocity2); // This doesn't work //quat quaternion3 = GEQuaternionFromAngleRadians(angleRadiansVector3); //vec3 vector3 = GETransformQuaternionAndVector(quaternion3, angularVelocity3); vec3 angleVelocity = GEAddVectors(vector1, vector2); // Does not work: vec3 angleVelocity = GEAddVectors(vector1, GEAddVectors(vector2, vector3)); static vec3 angleRadiansVector; vec3 angularAcceleration = GESetVector(0.0, 0.0, 0.0); // Sending it through one angular velocity later in my motion engine angleVelocity = GEAddVectors(angleVelocity, GEMultiplyVectorAndScalar(angularAcceleration, timeStep)); angleRadiansVector = GEAddVectors(angleRadiansVector, GEMultiplyVectorAndScalar(angleVelocity, timeStep)); glMultMatrixf(GEMat4FromEulerAngle(angleRadiansVector).array); Also how do I combine multiple angularAcceleration variables? Is there an easier way to transform the angular values?
    • By dpadam450
      I have this code below in both my vertex and fragment shader, however when I request glGetUniformLocation("Lights[0].diffuse") or "Lights[0].attenuation", it returns -1. It will only give me a valid uniform location if I actually use the diffuse/attenuation variables in the VERTEX shader. Because I use position in the vertex shader, it always returns a valid uniform location. I've read that I can share uniforms across both vertex and fragment, but I'm confused what this is even compiling to if this is the case.

#define NUM_LIGHTS 2
      struct Light
      {
          vec3 position;
          vec3 diffuse;
          float attenuation;
      };
      uniform Light Lights[NUM_LIGHTS];

• By pr033r
      Hello,
      I have a Bachelor project on topic "Implenet 3D Boid's algorithm in OpenGL". All OpenGL issues works fine for me, all rendering etc. But when I started implement the boid's algorithm it was getting worse and worse. I read article (http://natureofcode.com/book/chapter-6-autonomous-agents/) inspirate from another code (here: https://github.com/jyanar/Boids/tree/master/src) but it still doesn't work like in tutorials and videos. For example the main problem: when I apply Cohesion (one of three main laws of boids) it makes some "cycling knot". Second, when some flock touch to another it scary change the coordination or respawn in origin (x: 0, y:0. z:0). Just some streng things. 
      I followed many tutorials, change a try everything but it isn't so smooth, without lags like in another videos. I really need your help. 
      My code (optimalizing branch): https://github.com/pr033r/BachelorProject/tree/Optimalizing
      Exe file (if you want to look) and models folder (for those who will download the sources):
      http://leteckaposta.cz/367190436
      Thanks for any help...

• By Andrija
      I am currently trying to implement shadow mapping into my project , but although i can render my depth map to the screen and it looks okay , when i sample it with shadowCoords there is no shadow.
      Here is my light space matrix calculation
      mat4x4 lightViewMatrix; vec3 sun_pos = {SUN_OFFSET * the_sun->direction[0], SUN_OFFSET * the_sun->direction[1], SUN_OFFSET * the_sun->direction[2]}; mat4x4_look_at(lightViewMatrix,sun_pos,player->pos,up); mat4x4_mul(lightSpaceMatrix,lightProjMatrix,lightViewMatrix); I will tweak the values for the size and frustum of the shadow map, but for now i just want to draw shadows around the player position
      the_sun->direction is a normalized vector so i multiply it by a constant to get the position.
      player->pos is the camera position in world space
      the light projection matrix is calculated like this:
      mat4x4_ortho(lightProjMatrix,-SHADOW_FAR,SHADOW_FAR,-SHADOW_FAR,SHADOW_FAR,NEAR,SHADOW_FAR); Shadow vertex shader:
      uniform mat4 light_space_matrix; void main() { gl_Position = light_space_matrix * transfMatrix * vec4(position, 1.0f); } Shadow fragment shader:
      out float fragDepth; void main() { fragDepth = gl_FragCoord.z; } I am using deferred rendering so i have all my world positions in the g_positions buffer
      My shadow calculation in the deferred fragment shader:
      float get_shadow_fac(vec4 light_space_pos) { vec3 shadow_coords = light_space_pos.xyz / light_space_pos.w; shadow_coords = shadow_coords * 0.5 + 0.5; float closest_depth = texture(shadow_map, shadow_coords.xy).r; float current_depth = shadow_coords.z; float shadow_fac = 1.0; if(closest_depth < current_depth) shadow_fac = 0.5; return shadow_fac; } I call the function like this:
      get_shadow_fac(light_space_matrix * vec4(position,1.0)); Where position is the value i got from sampling the g_position buffer
      Here is my depth texture (i know it will produce low quality shadows but i just want to get it working for now):
      sorry because of the compression , the black smudges are trees ... https://i.stack.imgur.com/T43aK.jpg
      EDIT: Depth texture attachment:
      glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0,GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT24,fbo->width,fbo->height,0,GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT,GL_FLOAT,NULL); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE); glFramebufferTexture2D(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_DEPTH_ATTACHMENT, GL_TEXTURE_2D, fbo->depthTexture, 0);
  • Popular Now