Installing an app permanently on a device

Started by
4 comments, last by TechnoGoth 11 years, 11 months ago
Hi all, I've been developing an android app for a few weeks now, and I've been able to "install" my app through USB debugging and eclipse, but it'll only run if my device is hooked up to the computer, and eclipse is running. How do I install the app permanently on the device?

After a USB debugging session, the file shows up in settings->apps with the option of uninstalling it, but that's it. no icon anywhere to run the app.

edit: As per what I've read on the web, I've tried putting the .apk in my public dropbox folder, then downloading it via a link on the device itself, but all that does is download it onto a folder in the device. I can then browse to that folder, and put a nice checkmark next to it when I touch it, but nothing actually happens.

I've also tried "adb install", which "install's" it much like USB debugging does.

The only option I haven't tried is publishing it on Android store or whatever, but I don't actually want to publishing this.
Advertisement
That's weird, since all my simple testing apps always persist after disconnecting. In order to really install them, export a .apk from Eclipse (do not copy it manually, as I won't install correctly). Distribute the .apk to the target phone, allow Unknown Sources for Applications and install it. This worked for me and all tutorials I tried.
Mind telling us what Android Version your running?
Check out my blog on Mobile Game Development! CollegeGameDev.com
version 4.0.3, its a zenithink 7" U-Pad.

OK, that's pretty cool that the app stays and keeps running after I unplug the USB, but as soon as I exit the app, I can't get back into it (on that device) without plugging the device back in and running eclipse again. Is there any way to get it to stay there permanently? Like, so it shows up as an Icon in home, that I can press to run it any time later? Or do you have to publish it to the Android app store?
You should be able to use adb from the command line or adt from eclipse to install it. It should automatically show up in the launcher assuming your manifest and other information is all correct.

Sadly, this type of "it doesn't work" question requires you to compare everything against a base demo program to ensure you are following all the steps correctly.
Publishing the app to your phone should work just fine via the usb, drop box or any other method of getting the apk file onto and then selecting it. I've done it several times myself. The only things I can think of that could be causing a problem is that you don't have Unknown Sources switched on in your setting which is required to install non-market apps.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement