What would you like to see in a Twin Stick Shooter?

Started by
5 comments, last by Mario D. 11 years, 9 months ago
So I have a working prototype for a twin stick shooter for Android (Don't mind the graphics! Good ones are coming! I promise!)

35cna09.jpg

As I was making this prototype, I did a bit of research on the twin-stick genre and found a lot of overlap between games. Most of them work on some sort of kill this xx times til you get a power-up drop that lasts for xx seconds, then revert back to normal. While I like the idea, I'd like to throw in a little bit more RPG-like progression between rounds so I can include some persistant power-ups.

As I keep throwing basic things into my prototype, I find that, at the moment, a 360 explosion of shots works fairly well, and lock-on missiles aren't too shabby either. Also, indestructibility works well but can become overpowered as the enemies increase!

So, here's a question for you guys - what would you like to see in a twin stick shooter? While I am mainly focused on power-up sort of ideas, if you have grievences with other games of the genre, please let me know! Every suggestion is greatly appreciated! While I have a bit developed, I went out of my way to make this code fairly reusable and therefore not too hard to rewrite the control scheme/physics/so on.
Check out my blog on Mobile Game Development! CollegeGameDev.com
Advertisement
Interchangeable ship parts/weapons. various weapon types.
I won't mince words: twin-stick shooter is a terrible fit for touchscreen. It's one of the genres requiring the most rapid, most accurate control. Even playing Grid Wars 2 on the PC with a keyboard and mouse ultimately sucks because neither of those is as accurate and fast with directions as an analog stick, and you can feel yourself hitting the limits of control.

If you go for this anyway, you should have every weapon either shoot a wide arc of shots (spread shot, flamer, ...) or home in like missiles. It's equally important, but probably much harder, to fix movement so that accuracy doesn't matter.

I won't mince words: twin-stick shooter is a terrible fit for touchscreen. It's one of the genres requiring the most rapid, most accurate control

That's been a growing suspicion on my part - my best bet so far has been to add some form of auto-aim/aim-asist into the game to help make the game playable, much like Minigore did. Movement wise - I've spent quite a while working on making the controls feel as good as possible, but I'm still going to work at it.

Making interchangable ship parts isn't too bad of idea :-) tho I don't want to go overboard though on customizability and scare people away. Aside from power-ups and maybe different engines, what else would make sense to add to it without it becoming too much?
Check out my blog on Mobile Game Development! CollegeGameDev.com
Perhaps shields of different strengths. Maybe a choice of "super"/"bomb" one-shot weapons to use in an emergency.

Power-ups:

• Speed up
  • Weapon double shot / triple shot / shoot behind etc
  • Damage multiplier
  • Points multiplier
  • Invulnerability/damage reduction
  • Reflect enemy shots
A shop and achievement section in any game provides an addictive touch. People always want to feel like they've acheived something and have reason to keep playing. Create different maps, what i mean by this is, your game has say 5 map zone thingy's, and you can choose any of them, however they vary in difficulty and you either need high skill to win or you need to have enough upgrades to be strong enough. As long as a player has something to work towards, they'll keep playing.
Omni-directional shooters on a touch screen will be tough.

A design I am working on right now (which would be a great counter-balance to the touch screen problem) is dialing back the action to become more adventure-oriented. Shops/Upgrades could be tied to discovering the world.

I'm sure this has been done before...it almost seems obvious to me. Haven't played a twin-stick (omni-directional) shooter that wasn't completely focused on challenge as its hook.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement