MMORPG Passing Arround IP's

Started by
1 comment, last by hplus0603 11 years, 11 months ago
Hi,
Ive written a working mmorpg and now I want to expand on its capability. To solve some potential network bottlenecks I would like to make clients aware of other clients IP Addresses and to even allow them to comunicate together without bothering the main server. Party Discussions, Voice comunications to name a few. Would I be breaking some sort of unwritten rule by doing this ? I would hate to write reams of code before finding out I "shouldnt" be doing something.

Regards
Bobalot
www.ssisgame.co.uk Fairspace MMORPG.
Advertisement
Voice comunications[/quote]

Skype gave up on that model and now uses centralized servers.

Would I be breaking some sort of unwritten rule by doing this ?[/quote]

It's a security/privacy issue.

There was a recent article on how to identify users using Skype protocol and even correlate that with whether they download anything over bittorrent.

A more practical concern is that most users are behind NAT and cannot connect to each other anyway.
Putting a different spin on the same issues Antheus brings up:

1. If you have the IP address of your opponent players, then you can do things like point a DDoS botnet at those players to gain an unfair advantage.
2. You have to be careful about how to pass the IP address along. Specifically, you probably want to use UDP, and a NAT introducer mechanism, to improve the odds of it working. Still, there will be cases where it doesn't work, because of NAT/firewalls, so you'll have to have a server-side fall-back anyway. And, if you have that fall-back, the cost of developing the P2P mechanism is probably a lot higher than the savings.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement