Can i change a smartphones hardware?

Started by
6 comments, last by 6677 11 years, 10 months ago
now i love my sony xperia play but i'm very disappointed. first thing this morning (well afternoon) i read news that sony deiced not to update the play to 4.0 (a.k.a. ICS or Ice Cream Sandwich). i was hoping that would make the phone a little faster and more fluent, but it'll never come out :/ . so i started thinking, why is this phone slower then other smartphones, Hardware. i love it's Game pad but i hate the small hard drive, and RAM (it's practically the same amount of space in internal storage and ram, wtf?!?) and it's processor is actually only one core when most of the phones now a day are dual, and Samsung is bringing quad to the table, why stay with one core? and since i don't see a new play station certified phone coming out anytime soon (at least one with a game pad) so now i'm stuck with either "great gaming" or "a good smartphone". can i change the phone's hardware?
Advertisement
No, each device is generally custom-built hardware that gets mass produced cheaply.

The devices are generally not designed to be modified.
You may want to look around on xda-developers. If you are really that frustrated with your phone and its lack of updates, you may find that someone there has developed an ICS update for the Play independently.
So your telling me I can't change the Sony Ericsson xperia play hard drive, RAM or processor? I'm not asking for other models, tell me about the play.
You can add a MicroSD card for more storage space. Otherwise no, there are no user-upgradable parts inside.

You can add a MicroSD card for more storage space. Otherwise no, there are no user-upgradable parts inside.

thats a shame, well thanks for the help! I gladly appriciate it.

You may want to look around on xda-developers. If you are really that frustrated with your phone and its lack of updates, you may find that someone there has developed an ICS update for the Play independently.

wow, that site's pretty sick. Defantly going in my bookmarks, thanks!

So your telling me I can't change the Sony Ericsson xperia play hard drive, RAM or processor? I'm not asking for other models, tell me about the play.

By the way, there is no hard drive. Its a flash drive.

All smartphones are usually surface mount components with tiny solder pitches, these are notoriously hard to remove and reattach and the motherboards built in bios won't recognise other components. ARM processors aren't interchangeable anyway, the bootloader on the phone will be written for your exact ARM model.

Only things to do are either new phone, OR, install something like app killer and run that before you play any games just to free up every available bit of RAM.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement