• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Zilex95

PC Game - RPG with 3D map

This topic is 2369 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello smile.png

I have no experience in making games, except a GameMaker tutorial, but I have been using FreeBASIC, HTML, and PHP (if that can help?).

The story of the game is not so important at the moment, but I have some plans.
What will the camera see: 3D map, seen in the same perspective as in the Diablo series. It will be locked on the player (the players hero will be in the middle of the screen all the time).

What shold I strat with learning? Is there map editors I can use, or do I have to write a code for it all? How do I make the heroes, the monsters and other moving object? And most importanly, what language is best suited for this project?

- Zilex

Advertisement
Start smaller. A 3D RPG is going to be pretty complicated to make, probably impossible if your only experience is a GameMaker tutorial. That being said...

You should start with learning 3D. Grab an engine (I hear Unity is good, or you can go with Irrlicht, or Ogre,or some other 3D open source engine) and run through the tutorials and samples. Get a good handle on how they work. Run through a few tutorials on the basics of 3D math: vectors, matrices, transformations, coordinate spaces. Move on to the more complicated topics: scene structure, terrain, lighting, shaders and material systems, etc... Learn about particle systems. Learn about animation (skeletal animation, vertex morph animation, texture coordinate animation, etc...) Or maybe go with some kind of more fully-featured 3D game makerenvironment. I couldn't vouch for anything in that department, having never used any kind of game maker software.

If you want physics in the game, then you also will want to grab a physics library. ODE, Bullet, something like that.

You'll also need to learn about how to structure the game. The game loop, the loading of assets, the structure of your logic update framework. How will entities be organized, stored, serialized and updated? Current thinking, especially in RPGs, is to move away from deep inheritance hierarchies and build your entities using object composition. The keywords there are entity systems, component systems, etc... Using object composition can really help you break down the complexity of building an RPG, with all the complex object interactions they entail.

The best language to use is the one that supports your chosen environment/engine/libraries.

If you don't have an artist then you're going to have to learn how to make 3D graphics, at least well enough to get the game off the ground. For game art on a budget, there are free tools available: Blender, Sculptris, the Gimp.

It'll take awhile. All of these basics are best learned while doing smaller projects; leave your magnum opus 3D RPG for later, when it will have a smaller chance of dying on the vine due to the overwhelming complexity. Edited by JTippetts

Just to throw in some advice: to handle your system, and still get some code started, why not make it 2D and move to 3D? Get your items, stats, creatures, all the important stuff working and move from there. Then you will have some of the work done, including at least a good portion of this part from JTippetts:
You'll also need to learn about how to structure the game. The game loop, the loading of assets, the structure of your logic update framework. How will entities be organized, stored, serialized and updated? Current thinking, especially in RPGs, is to move away from deep inheritance hierarchies and build your entities using object composition. The keywords there are entity systems, component systems, etc... Using object composition can really help you break down the complexity of building an RPG, with all the complex object interactions they entail.[/quote]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!