• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Robbie Woods

Tile Engine - Allegro 5 + C++

This topic is 2185 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, I'm looking for tips and resources regarding tile engines. I've searched the net and haven't found anything to do with allegro 5 and tile engines. How do people learn?

Advertisement
Well you could Google creating a tilemap. There are also a few books out there that discuss the subject. One off the top of my head is Data Structures for game programmers[couldn't find it on gamedev books list]. I'm pretty sure any book that discusses 2D RPG games will discuss tilemaps.

Google will probably be your best friend here though. I got this from a quick Google search. you can search more or maybe someone who has a bit more time then I do at the moment can help you out in this thread.

Hope that helps.

Hi guys, I've started converting an Allegro 4 tile map editor to Allegro 5 but I'm having a problem with mouse input (i skipped it when i was learning haha). I have no clue how to implement mouse input. My code is here https://github.com/robbiewoods05/Tile-Engine

My code is in main.cpp and the original allegro 4 code is in TileEngineExample.cpp

Thanks

My code is in main.cpp and the original allegro 4 code is in TileEngineExample.cpp

You can't just expect people to download all of your code and pick through it and implement a full feature for you.
Post some snipits of the mouse input code and explain what you can't figure out what explain what is not working.

Sorry. Just thought it'd be easier to read through it on GitHub than to post a ~200 line code file.

Anyway, I got it to work by calling the edit() function when mouse is clicked rather than checking for the mouse when edit is called.

But, it's extremely laggy. Like to the point it's unusable. I have no idea as to why :(

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!