Help with coding a game similar to the sims

Started by
5 comments, last by marvel_magnum 11 years, 10 months ago
Hello. I have decided to begin coding a game similar to The Sims using Unity3D. I'll have to use C# since it is a language that comes with unity. However, I know I will need models for the game, and will try to find some. I may need some help with coding. The motive part should be easy (I think). other than that, I will definitely try to tackle this. Any advice?
Advertisement
My advice is to start with a much simpler project. I think you need to set more realistic goals and focus on completing smaller projects if you want to accomplish your goal of becoming a game developer. I took the liberty of looking at some of your past posts and I can see a pattern of starting ambitious projects only to get distracted and try something else. You need to pick a technology, a small project, and work that project to completion.

The Sims is a very complex game that took many many people to produce and a high budget. I am not saying that you will never be able to produce a game like that in the future, but right now you do not have the resources or skills to be able to produce that game successfully without frustrating yourself a great deal.

If you want to use Unity great... but take some time and learn how to use Unity. Try to make some simple games with it (such as pong). Programming and game development are skills that take a long time to learn.

You must be careful with "finding" artwork as many times you have to deal with licensing issues (which can involve paying money) and/or legal trouble if the assets were ripped from a game.
Thank you for the kind reply, shadowisadog. Would you know of a good place to find more help with Unity? From now on, I won't post until I have skills.
I'm sorry, shadowisadog. I guess my problem is poor concentration on things. But that doesn't stop me. I'll learn one way or another.
You might go through the burgzerg tutorials, a lot of it isn't related to a SIM, but some of it would be, like the character customization, instantiating prefabs, etc

http://www.burgzergarcade.com/hack-slash-rpg-unity3d-game-engine-tutorial

It's a tutorial to make a 3d hack n slash rpg...just ditch the combat part.
Before starting out you should consider the size and scope of the project.

Consider that the The Sims 3 took about 3 years and about 400 people (I didn't count the exact number). That's roughly 1200 years of work by people experienced in the genre. The Sims 2 took about 4 years and about 300 people, or also roughly 1200 years of work by experienced developers. The Sims original took nearly 5 years and about 200 people, or roughly 1000 work years.

Even starting with Unity you are looking at a few hundred work-years before the game gets enough content to be fun. It would require significant amounts of modeling, art, animation, audio, and programming. Are you really able to make that kind of investment?

Start small. Much smaller than trying to mimic a AAA title.

Are you really able to make that kind of investment?

Basically, it would boil down to a single game in about 12-15 rebirths. I don't think you'd be really happy about that.

Here's a better plan:

1. Start smaller. Make smaller games. Get familiarised.
  2. Get that job. Become one of those 400 people.
  3. Make Sims 4 (all in this lifetime). smile.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement