• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
pzelic

Server suggestions for social iphone game

This topic is 2270 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys,

Im not a programmer myself, but looking after a project and was hoping to get some advice. We're creating a social based game (similar to words with friends, draw something, ect) that will be transferring voice recordings which will be about 60-80kb in size. Having never worked with networks, im a little bit unsure as to what sort of setup will be needed. Was hoping to get a bit of advice on what you guys would recommend as a server (ive been told couchbase works really well) and associated costs. Guess just wanted a rough ballpark figure if we had 50-100k users, What would be a safe setup to get started with. Again im not a programmer or server tech, so go easy on me :) Thanks in advance

Advertisement
You are missing some required information.

Concurrent users ( number users active on server at one time )
Needs of the server. Need to run your own code? Web server? What rights do you need?
Expected response time. Real time response needed, or is a delay fine?
Storage space requirements
Need a database?
What language is your programmer going to use?

For a frame of reference, I use an on demand provider, and pay about 160$ per server per month. The number of servers varies, but you can probably start with one.

Your other option is to go PaaS ( Platform as a Service ), like Google App Engine, or Microsoft Azure, to say nothing of the billions of Node and Ruby hosters popping up.

Hi guys,

Im not a programmer myself, but looking after a project and was hoping to get some advice. We're creating a social based game (similar to words with friends, draw something, ect) that will be transferring voice recordings which will be about 60-80kb in size. Having never worked with networks, im a little bit unsure as to what sort of setup will be needed. Was hoping to get a bit of advice on what you guys would recommend as a server (ive been told couchbase works really well) and associated costs. Guess just wanted a rough ballpark figure if we had 50-100k users, What would be a safe setup to get started with. Again im not a programmer or server tech, so go easy on me :) Thanks in advance

Probably Ec2, Linux, RoR, S3/Cloudfront, RDS, looking at the game description, maybe php instead of RoR depending on your coders?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!