30 years old, want to make games, should I learn how to program?

Started by
15 comments, last by prexen 11 years, 10 months ago

Really, you are looking at two totally different poles here: code development requires logical and analytical thinking, (black and white;) artists and designing requires creativity (colors "excite" you, if I were to try to explain.) I don't know of many that like to do both, and can do both well - though they might be out there - rare though.

I wouldn't say programming is completely devoid of creativity - some problems REALLY need some creative solutions. If programming wasn't creative, there's no way we would have programming languages in the first place, we'd still be using assembly. Data structures are a good example of products of creative thinking. However I agree that it tends to err on the logical side...

Anyway, to the original question, I say go for it pal. What were you good at in school? If maths was a weak point programming will kill your mind, as there is a lot of numbers involved even at basic levels, and the more advanced stuff involving 3d math and physics will drive you barmy!
Advertisement
I'd only be able to spend about 6-9 hours a week learning how to program.
That's not enough. You will retire before you learn anything at that pace. You have to quit your main job or the side job (or both).

* Programming for the sake of making a game only is wrong. It's like being an artist, they play with crayons because they like crayons, sure they want to get famous and rich and complete some masterpiece but all before that they like crayons and they are doing it because there are crayons involved.
* No one will hire you as a designer, no matter how experienced you are. Not in indie business anyway.
* Math is not a critical obstacle, I sux at math and I'm a succesful programmer (althrough, poor math skills is annoying for sure).
* "I don't want be rich, just enough to make a living" - that's what is called super rich in game dev business :) Making a living out of it is an ultimate dream. If you follow that path expect to learn less that you could otherwise.
* One thing bothers me, why haven't you be doing any games as a kid? Do you really, truly, enjoy it?
* It it fails and you end up making a mediocre game and earning nothing, would you consider it a waste of time and regret doing it? Are you making it for fundamental reasons (because it's worth it) or because of instrumental reasons (money, fame, girls, etc)?

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

[quote name='jabjab' timestamp='1338322959' post='4944424']I'd only be able to spend about 6-9 hours a week learning how to program.
That's not enough. You will retire before you learn anything at that pace. You have to quit your main job or the side job (or both).

* Programming for the sake of making a game only is wrong. It's like being an artist, they play with crayons because they like crayons, sure they want to get famous and rich and complete some masterpiece but all before that they like crayons and they are doing it because there are crayons involved.
* No one will hire you as a designer, no matter how experienced you are. Not in indie business anyway.
* Math is not a critical obstacle, I sux at math and I'm a succesful programmer (althrough, poor math skills is annoying for sure).
* "I don't want be rich, just enough to make a living" - that's what is called super rich in game dev business smile.png Making a living out of it is an ultimate dream. If you follow that path expect to learn less that you could otherwise.
* One thing bothers me, why haven't you be doing any games as a kid? Do you really, truly, enjoy it?
* It it fails and you end up making a mediocre game and earning nothing, would you consider it a waste of time and regret doing it? Are you making it for fundamental reasons (because it's worth it) or because of instrumental reasons (money, fame, girls, etc)?
[/quote]

I think I've addressed much of what you've commented on already. I'll comment on the rest later today.
I may want to team up with a game designer among other profiles. My desire is to create a game production company, more in fact than an actual game, since I'm not at all creative. As far as programming skills go I'm more of an all-rounder with a slight preference for graphics/direct3d over the other modules required in a game but a fair understanding of what all goes into a game-loop. I realise the enormous task in sheer man-hours so a bit of labour-division won't hurt. I defend myself in maths and self-taught calc I,II,III, differential equations, linear algebra (ongoing)
I'm not trying to push myself as the CEO and main shareholder and have the others as my employees, no we could assemble a team of equal stakeholders such as to appear professional and conscientious towards potential investors. There currently seems to be lots of venture capital chasing few projects although I fear the fb flop might dampen this. I'm 35 and unemployed so I have lots of time.

I may want to team up with a game designer among other profiles. My desire is to create a game production company, more in fact than an actual game, since I'm not at all creative. As far as programming skills go I'm more of an all-rounder with a slight preference for graphics/direct3d over the other modules required in a game but a fair understanding of what all goes into a game-loop. I realise the enormous task in sheer man-hours so a bit of labour-division won't hurt. I defend myself in maths and self-taught calc I,II,III, differential equations, linear algebra (ongoing)
I'm not trying to push myself as the CEO and main shareholder and have the others as my employees, no we could assemble a team of equal stakeholders such as to appear professional and conscientious towards potential investors. There currently seems to be lots of venture capital chasing few projects although I fear the fb flop might dampen this. I'm 35 and unemployed so I have lots of time.

Frederic, you appear to be starting a new conversation (you have "hijacked" someone else's conversation). I suggest you start a new discussion thread. And you need to choose the appropriate forum to do it in. If you have questions about starting a new company, post that discussion in the Business/Law forum. If you are trying to recruite people for your venture, use the Classifieds.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Actually I meant this as an answer to jabjab since he mentioned a desire to be a designer. I wasn't able to properly quote using my iPhone.
Just created an acc to reply for you jabjab.

Last year i was in the same place you are right now. Almost the same skillset that you have, and no idea how to program or something.
(in case you are wondering im 29 atm)
After 1 year of hard work and all, im pretty happy atm with the work. Learning programing IS hard if u dont have a background in it, and no one to help you out.
Cant stress this enough.
Sure theres a ton of tutorials about everything, but when you start you dont even know how to ask the questions in a "programatic" way in order to get the response you want. And you will have a LOT of questions.

Many many ppl cant put themselfs in a "noob" place in order to understand why you cant understand something. Like teaching, no matter what the subject it is, teaching is hard.

That beeing said, 6-9 hours week to learn how to program...if you dont have anyone to help you, im sry but it will take a LONG time. And more specifically more time to learn game programing, and all its subtopics in order to make a game. (from graphics, to collision, to ai...).

When you understand how the inner workings of programing works you start to like it more and more. You wont like it at first, cause u will hit ur head into a wall EVERYDAY, and everytime you try to do something.

About the bussiness side of things, and the indie gaming:
Sure its cool to think that you can make it on the indie side of things, but it is HARD. After you make your game, you need to sell it. To sell it, you need market, you need to know ppl. Look at angry birds...and all the AAA´s atm in the market. Like you said "I've grown tired of a lot of what comes out now.", theres a reason why they keep doing it.
Because the marketing and publishing side of things work. When you dont have a huge budget, making it by yourself is MAD hard.
And im talking truth about doing it indie, you need to pay bills, raise your family and all that.
I have to disagree with Acharis on some of the points he made.
Money IS important. Thats a final. Sure graphics, design (in all the levels of it), expressing yourself in your art, developing some crazy programing algorithm, optimizing, music, sound fx and all that makes for a healthy development, but money is part of it also. The half part of what he said holds tho, you will probably earn less than what you can in other jobs.

Apart from the cold shower here, it is mad fun, and can be extremely rewarding in diferent levels. And hey, programing is something that you will use for sure. Even if not for making games, but beeing a tech savy artist is VERY precious.

Thats my experience in trying to break into the game developing world. Hope it helps.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement