C++ what other IDE other than VC++

Started by
68 comments, last by spielc 11 years, 7 months ago
QtCreator has good autocompletion, syntax highlighting, project management, but I've never used Visual Studio so I can't compare. Debugging is decent, but sometimes a bit, uh, buggy ([size=2]MinGW/GCC problem, not QtCreator) - but not to the extent that it stops me programming. Profiling sucks ([size=2]MinGW/GCC problem, not QtCreator) due to lack of visual display tools for MinGW on Windows.

The IDE is cross-platform for Windows, Linux, and Mac. It also has a GUI drag-and-drop editor (using Qt api, not Win32). It has built-in SVN/Git/etc support, the ability to view two (or more, you can keep subdividing the window) source files side by side, and other features. But more than that, it's really responsive and not laggy.
Advertisement
I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but you can still get previous versions of VS Express. My personal favorite is http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2008-editions/express. Of course, that depends on what you are using it for (GUI development sucks).
Wow thanks for the heads up and thoughts. I have coded quite a bit on Mac years ago. I may get another someday, but Xcode isn't cross platform...

CB seems like what most are recommending, and QtCreator.... Odd their isn't more out there to choose from.

I also didn't want to use something that has a PINTA to create libs for, when I grab lib builds from various projects.

Thanks!
Has anyone actually tried the VC++ 2011 express edition? I'm a bit curious as to what that really means. To create a GUI app with Windows, all you need is a regular C compiler and the platform SDK. I can't imagine they removed that (the compiler)? Don't they mean there's no C++/CLI forms designers anymore? Did anyone really use those anyway?

Edit: OK, this is different. I just tried it, you can't even create a console application. You can't control your entry points as far as I can see. Same goes for C#, you can't even create a regular class library.

Edit2: Ok, by just hacking my project file I was able to create a regular console application. So what it all really mean is that there's currently no templates for regular native projects. I'll try to import an existing project next.

Edit3: Ok, that doesn't work.

If you want to use some other compiler than Visual C++ compilers, while using Visual Studio as an IDE, have a look at vs-tool plugin in my sig. It supports compiling Visual Studio solutions using MinGW, llvm-clang and a few other exotic toolchains. Even though you do not like VS2011, naturally VS2010 isn't going away, and one can still use it.

Doesn't plugins require the non-express version that costs $500 anyway, or did they change that in VS2010?

I just tried it, you can't even create a console application.

So basically, I who couldn't care less about metro apps and just wants the new C++11 standard will still have to pay up? If that's the case it's close to extortion! Or was it just that you couldn't import old VS projects?
Well, in the full edition I'm sure you can import projects like usual, but not in the express edition. I was also unable to take the source files and tweak the project settings to compile a regular windows application without success, though I admit I didn't try it for long. It failed to find some symbols from windows.h even though it was successfully included. Right-clicking and selecting Go to declaration worked, but there were some macro that evaluated to false causing those declarations to be excluded and I couldn't be bothered to figure out why. Console applications somewhat worked after tweaking settings, but I didn't perform extensive testing.

Also, check if you can get access to VS through other channels such as their *Spark programs or MSDNAA or something. MS loves to hand out free copies apparently. Also, wasn't there an update to VS2010 with C++11 support? Or was that just libraries? (I'm a C# dev mostly)
While I do use VSE for C# and Eclipse for Java I somehow never felt the need to use something else than a powerful text editor (geany in my case) and cmake for C++...
Doesn't sound that promising then..

VS2010 has some "0x" features since a good while back, but no plans on giving it the complete C++11 as far as I can found out anyway. Some minor stuff, like the lambdas and auto keyword, but practically nothing from the new standard library additions like concurrency.

I don't mind using GCC all that much, but I rather stay away from the whole legal minefield that is GPL. I should look into llvm some though.
Using GCC doesn't put any GPLesque restrictions on your code.

Well, in the full edition I'm sure you can import projects like usual, but not in the express edition. I was also unable to take the source files and tweak the project settings to compile a regular windows application without success, though I admit I didn't try it for long. It failed to find some symbols from windows.h even though it was successfully included. Right-clicking and selecting Go to declaration worked, but there were some macro that evaluated to false causing those declarations to be excluded and I couldn't be bothered to figure out why.

So if you include windows.h it doesn't even compile? What macro was it?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement