• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

MMOFPS game engine

This topic is 2182 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Sorry if this is the wrong area to ask, but I have been looking into engines for about a year now, I had settled on Torque to begin with because of how shooter friendly it is, but due to my lack of money, hiring someone to write network code was going to be alot more expensive than reconsidering engines, About 3 months ago I reserved a HeroEngine world, now that all the design documents are highly polished and such, it turns out everyone hates that engine. What is the best MMOFPS development engine in your opinion?

I am hoping to find one that uses a more popular language, I was told hiring people to code in HeroEngine was going to cost me 3x as much because it's a new language and not many people know it.

I have (until I have something to show) a very low profit for the engine itself, so anything like BigWorld is a no-go, especially since I do not intend to make huge profits later on, I could not afford the 3000$+ a year.

Thanks.

Advertisement

I am hoping to find one that uses a more popular language, I was told hiring people to code in HeroEngine was going to cost me 3x as much because it's a new language and not many people know it.....
...I could not afford the 3000$+ a year.

You can't afford 3000$ a year while talking about hiring coders ? A coder costs about 60k-100k a year, damping this down to lets say 1000$ , he would be able to work only atmost a few weeks for you , which is nothing when it comes down to coding.

What is the best MMOFPS development engine in your opinion?

Define MMO in this context. Is it 32 players ? 64, 128 , 16k ? UDK is a good and populare choice, but I'm not sure if it is capable of handling more than 32/64 players.

[quote name='dothackking' timestamp='1338434622' post='4944868']
I am hoping to find one that uses a more popular language, I was told hiring people to code in HeroEngine was going to cost me 3x as much because it's a new language and not many people know it.....
...I could not afford the 3000$+ a year.

You can't afford 3000$ a year while talking about hiring coders ? A coder costs about 60k-100k a year, damping this down to lets say 1000$ , he would be able to work only atmost a few weeks for you , which is nothing when it comes down to coding.

What is the best MMOFPS development engine in your opinion?

Define MMO in this context. Is it 32 players ? 64, 128 , 16k ? UDK is a good and populare choice, but I'm not sure if it is capable of handling more than 32/64 players.
[/quote]

We can't afford 3000$ a year after launch, or even during development just for an engine.

MMO in this context is aiming for around 2k customers, with probably 500 on at any given time.

Our scale for this game is fairly massive, we were looking at around 30 "large" (1-2km x 1-2km) maps Edited by dothackking

The simple fact of the matter is that games like this can cost huge amounts of money to develop and operate. Trying to do it on a few hundred bucks is a non-starter, period.

What is the best MMOFPS development engine in your opinion?[/quote]

Such a beast does not exist. Unless you can somehow license the Planetside (2) engine :-)

How many players *per map instance* are you going to have at any one time? All Points Bulletin did about 100 players per map by customizing the Unreal engine. The UDK is pretty cheap to get started with, and has tons of support for shooter games.
But, if your programmers couldn't add MMO networking to Torque (that already has good networking -- in fact, it's the *only* good part of that engine IMO) and you "hate" the HeroEngine tools for unspecified reasons, what makes you believe that you could achieve your goals with *any* engine?

Developing games is hard, and requires hard work by skilled people. Developing networked games is double hard, and requires double hard work by double skilled people. Developing MMO networked games is quadruple hard, and requires quadruple hard work by quadruple skilled people. It's not clear to me that you yet meet the "developing games" bar. Maybe you do, but complaining about two existing engines that both have been used to ship successful games doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!