• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Engine-Tool Runtime Communication

This topic is 2058 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm currently developing a world building tool for my game engine.

The engine is written in C++, and the tool is written in C#.

Ideally, I want to design things so that the engine renders to a surface in the tool and the tool communicates with the engine at runtime for entity creation/placement/etc.

What are the best technical approaches to making this happen? Specifically, what is an efficient and maintainable method I can use to establish communication between the tool and the engine?

-edit
I realize this is something I could probably google, I'm just not entirely sure where to start. So... thank you for your patience and any direction/guidance! Edited by SeiryuEnder

Advertisement
When you want to code a multiplayer game, I would consider using a network interface. It would be a language independent solution and a superb preparation.

[quote name='Ashaman73' timestamp='1338442089' post='4944884']
When you want to code a multiplayer game, I would consider using a network interface. It would be a language independent solution and a superb preparation.
[/quote]

I hadn't considered a networked solution for communication... I rather like this. If I recall correctly, the PS3 devkit uses a similar method. This actually opens up some pretty neat possibilities. Theoretically, two or more people could work in tandem creating and/or playtesting on the fly. I still haven't gotten around to making a networking component for my engine yet, but a barebones Berkely sockets system shouldn't be too hard to drum up just to get things moving.

I still have to figure out a way to get a C++ engine to render to a C# surface -- but that's another creature entirely.

How about this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/935664/possible-to-call-c-code-from-c

At a higher level, I would look into using a key/value store like Redis to host a message queue.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement