2d Game Death Animation Ideas

Started by
2 comments, last by SeiryuEnder 11 years, 10 months ago
I am making a simple 2d platforming game in Directx11(simple in apperance and not design). I am trying to come up with as many ideas as I can for how the player character dies. Normally when I do this I imagine different ways to do something visually in the game in my mind and try to decide what I am content with from there. I have thought of the classic mario way(front view of character falling off screen, but it's so unoriginal), spinning while falling off the screen(looks really stupid in my head lol), and the character disappearing in a puff of smoke(leaning toward this one, it is easy to do). I am hoping that you guys can provide me with some other ideas that wouldn't be too difficult to do and preferably does not require too much shader language knowledge.
Advertisement
I think it should depend on a way how character died.
For example, if one dies in fire or lava you could change texture to coal or w/e, to make it look like badly burned corpse.
You can go the comic route too. Like, have the character put his hands over his heart, groan, while falling backwards.
Or he could cover his face and start to cry, and walk off the screen. Things like that.

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

There's also full-screen effects to consider. The world can grey out, you can do a 'spotlight' effect, etc etc.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement