Your first game idea - What happened to it?

Started by
33 comments, last by szecs 11 years, 9 months ago
Keeping in the format of the OP.

Idea : Top down action shooter with a scrolling field.
How far it went : I completed !!!
Evolved : It was like i wondered.
Lessons : soo many to point it out.
How it would be now : Like the game but with more stuff. And probably isometric.

Some footage of the game.
[media]
[/media]
Advertisement
I was much into early GTA-style open world games, and I thought it'd be cool to create something similar myself. After having been learning c++ for a short period and some basic game -related things such as main loop I created a few prototypes of the game using console graphics.

Here's a screenshot of the final version:
[attachment=9212:con_.png]
An intense firefight in some hotel hall. The map scrolled as the player moved around.

Pretty much everything was hardcoded (enemies, weapons and objects), except the maps which also supported primitive events (walk somewhere and something is spawned). The game had cops, civilians, enemy gangs and even some monsters. Available weapons were two types of shotguns, rocket launcher, flamethrower, mines, remote detonated bombs and my personal favorite - poison arrows smile.png .

The game featured some pretty cool blast wave, fire and blood splatter effects - all done using colorful ascii characters. Among console graphics and 2d game stuff I also learned something about AI and sound system (the game btw had extremely brutal death screams). Later I tried adding a multiplayer, but of course that would fail as I had zero knowledge on the subject and I was using tcp for everything!

If I did a remake of this thing with my current experience and knowledge, it would probably end up being insane. I've actually started to recreate this thing in 3d, and so far everything's been going great! I might post an iotd some day, so stay tuned wink.png !
Ok...My first game idea.

My first game idea was not actually my idea. In fact, I was just using it to learn C++ and in general, game development.
It was Console Tic-tac-toe.
I finished it after months of hard work. Yes, you read that right MONTHS.
The reason, partly, for this is that I didn't have a clue about how to do stuff properly, and just dived straight in. That and the fact that I actually randomized the computer's moves as well, instead of making it two playered. But the real fault was that my computer was immensly slow, being 6 years old.
I then moved on to create a real tic-tac-toe game, which took considerably less time and after that a pong game.

I then spent the rest of the year trying to create a sequel to a platform game my friend was (and still is) working on. However, I decided not to because I didn't really want to use his idea and instead come up with something of my own. I leaft the project before even completing the first level.

Now I am on an ultra fast computer, and working on a platform game. I have just started it, but it is going to be epic when I have finished.
What's This?: basically, it's my blog. Click on it.
I can't even remember what my first idea was :/ So let's go with whatever I first actually tried to develop.

...really not that interesting. I took the tutorial from the DIV Games Studio manual and turned it into a full game, with scoring, levels and 2P mode. The outcome was more related to bullet (enemy) hells than anything else though... The game was timed to last 10 minutes (as in, you had to survive that long), but it took years before anybody could actually beat the damn thing. Ouch.

Lesson: creating an enemy 30% of the time is too much. At the framerate the game was running, that was 5~6 enemies per second. And enemies moved pretty fast too (they could go through the screen in about one or two seconds). The players being able to shoot 18 bullets per second and having 5 lives wasn't enough help.
Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.
The idea was just a simple flash platformer based on ancient egypt.
I finished the first level, minus the enemies and pick-ups.
The game didn't really evolve much since I didn't get very far with it.
I learned that creating content, even for simple games, makes up the vast bulk of the work. It takes an incredible amount of time and effort to create all those art assets.
I also learned that you don't get anything for free, every little detail that you want in your game you have to take the time to program/create yourself.
I don't know what I'd do different, I don't use flash anymore.
Gotta say this thread makes me cringe "what happened to your first game idea?"..
We all probably have thought of millions of game ideas while not being a developer or anything in game biz.
And even when we get into that biz it's still just an idea... = nothing really. We all probably think of tons of ideas constantly.
You have to make a detailed concept and iterenary of the game which is not just 1 idea anymore... it's forming that idea together with tons of more ideas. And it's still just an idea then.. You still don't know if you can do anything with that idea.. it just sounds good.

Ideas leads to concept leads to iteranary... all these 3 things are basically ideas... And then you must make a GDD out of the idea... all those 3 things are just starting ground to start writing the GDD.. and your ideas will most likely have to be reformed into something slightly or very different during the GDD writing process.

Or you can skip the part of writing a GDD... it works too... but you will have to do 1000000 times more work then because you don't know what you're going to make ahead of time... it's much much easier to rewrite parts of the game if it's in text in word than it is in code.
Idea: RPG/Strategy/Adventure (Like Legend of Zelda) based on Alchemical Elements

How Far: Still Developing

Evolving:
I first had this idea about 2 years ago. At that time, I had just learned the basics of graphics with java. I got as far as map movement and bullet collision. Then I decided that it was too much work and scraped it, roughly one year ago.
Then, about the beginning of this year, I learned new techniques in java that would help me with the project, but didn't want to work with the old code, so rewrote from scratch. I altered the part about Alchemical Elements to instead be colors, and decided to shape the world as a fractal. I've also recruited a friend to help the project along.

Lessons:
1. Don't abandon your ideas. Give them the respect they deserve, and while at first the idea my not seem like much, you can mold it on the meta-physical anvil to always become better.
2. Get people interested in your project, because if it's a big project and nobody knows about it, you might spontaneously forget about it.
3. Designing can be just as fun as playing.
4. Do not focus on only one project if you burn out easily. If you alternate between different projects, you will tire less easily, especially if they are different types of games. Its like crop rotations to preserve soil nutrients.
5. If you haven't fully designed the game, code from bottom up to leave flexibility.
6. if you have fully designed the game, code from top down so you know how far you are to completion.
7. Coding a game is not as easy as closing your eyes and seeing it.

How it Would Be Now:
It is now.

And Ashaman73, you just inspired me to follow my Lesson #1 by 20% more then before :D
A penny for my thoughts? Do you think I have only half a brain?

Not-so-proud owner of blog: http://agathokakologicalartolater.wordpress.com/
Idea: Strategy game/ fps based on controlling the earthly elements.

How Far: In development.

Evolving:
I had this idea after watching an episode of Avatar: Legend of korra. I was thinking how enjoyable the pro-bending fights were, and it would be really cool able to control the elements and fight like that. After I thought over this idea for a few days I decided to expand on it and make maps for it(I'm more of a level designer than I am anything else). So after I came up with some basic ideas and maps I started to think how simple the gameplay would be and that it would just feel repetitive, face it, it would have been a boxing game with fire.. I then decided to make it outdoors which would allow you the freedom of running and strategizing. After I made a few maps for that I stuck with one in the mountains, but that led me to another problem, the story and why would your character be randomly fighting in the mountains? So I changed the game again making it a horde style game where you fight off waves of enemies using different attacks. I am now a few weeks into development still working by myself trying to figure out different mechanics and I am making a lot of progress given the fact that I am a student, I have two jobs, I make texture packs for minecraft and I have to balance out a social life! I am really learning a lot about creating a game since I am teaching myself everything and doing everything myself.

Lessons:
1. Don't give up just because your only one person. I'm one person and even though at times I feel like this will never get done due to the fact that I have no earthly idea of what I'm doing, I still push on.
2. Take others advice, and don't be afraid to ask questions! People are smart, take advantage of that!
3. Dont get stuck on one idea. You may have the "perfect idea", I know I did, but you may find that some things wont work with it and the more you fight changing or swaying from that original idea, the harder it will be on you.
4. have fun, I'm doing this game for no profits what so ever. none. I'm doing this simply because I want to, and I think it will be cool to see how all my hard work pays off.
5. You will learn a lot so be ready! I've taught myself how to use the unreal engine and I love it! I also have some knowledge of how to use cryengine.(I prefer unreal engine though)
wpc69bff4a_1a.pngMy first game...
While I have adapted, and modded games before in the past, my only true original game came to fruition recently. The gameplay is a king of the hill based game where you are a hog wrestling off gravity and foes to maintain protection of a hill top security of a precious apple tree. I did make the first level last month, and its game play is coming together nicely Its a 3d game, implemented in HTML5 WebGL usingCopperCube IDE.

I explain how I documented the gameplay design, applied coppercube to program it, offer source code and line by line walk through of the programming as a tutorial at my hobby game site, FarmPeeps.com at page http://www.farmpeeps...ames_make.html has all the details, and links to the downloads to animated figures 3d Props, terrain, skybox etc so you can learn / adapt the game. The lessons I learned are posted in the tutorial, however planning game flow and charting the character attributes is high up on the list. With respect to the last question, we will have to see on the second level and next gamedev project. I document all my projects in my sites developers notebook, i call it "3D DevLog".

[background=rgb(250, 251, 252)]In response to "So I am interested in knowing about people's first game design idea." and the follow up questions...[/background]

• What was the idea.
  • How far did you get with it.
  • How did that game idea evolve as it transitioned into reality or fell short of being completed.
  • What lessons did you learn on the way.
  • What would the game be, if you revisited the original idea now and built the game with your current ability/knowledge.

any sort of documentation showing the game design, ideas, artwork etc would also be interesting
3DSkyDome.com animated sky boxes and instant 3d Android & WebGL publishing.

[background=rgb(250, 251, 252)][font="helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"][size="2"][color="#282828"]What was the idea? An FPS Strategy game hybrid with First person elements in the style of Red Orchestra, and call of duty 2. The strategy mechanics were similar to that of the on rail flash flash game Ware-fare 1944, but with a command system using marker such as "Defend Here" "Attack Here"[/font]

[font="helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"][size="2"][color="#282828"]How far: Glad to say I'm still working on a rough draft of sorts. I'm glad I've stuck with it. I've got a GDD and a few half finished models and lines of code, all coming together slowly. It's a good excuse for me to learn java. [/font][/background]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]

[background=rgb(250, 251, 252)]Evolving: It started out as me wanting to improve and bring out my favourite mechanics of Ace of Spades, and as I designed it turned into something else entirely. [/background]

[/font]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]

[background=rgb(250, 251, 252)]Lessons learned: Ideas morph and change, what you set out to make will change. Java's hard to learn when all you've ever dealt with before's html and python.

I tried making early versions of it in 2d using game maker, but it just wasn't flexible enough.[/background]

[/font]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement