Target out-dated phones?

Started by
4 comments, last by Ameise 11 years, 10 months ago
Hi community!

I've been playing with (an idea to make a game for) Android lately and started wondering, whether there still are phones (tables?) out there which would NOT support OpenGL ES 2.0 and GLSL ES 1.0. The game would be a pretty simple thing and probably for free (no big ambitions), however I'm not sure if it ever "pays off" trying to support horribly old devices which can do fixed-function only or are otherwise incredibly crappy. Personally I don't know anyone in my vicinity who'd have a smart-phone which can't deal with GL2 well but I have no idea what kind of people with what HW usually buy indie games on phones at all...

Stemming from DX10/11/GL3/SM4++ world, leaving fixed-function OpenGL far, far away in the deepest past's beginnings, this might probably hurt me :-D

Any insights? :-)
Advertisement
As far as I know, all the Android releases have required 3D either through hardware acceleration or through software rasterization of ES 1.0.

There are very few phones I'm aware of that don't have hardware 3D support.
I do know that. I'm asking specifically about OpenGL ES 2.0, NOT 1.0.

I do know that. I'm asking specifically about OpenGL ES 2.0, NOT 1.0.

http://developer.android.com/resources/dashboard/opengl.html

A phone that doesn't support GL ES 2.0 is the G1... more concerningly, many custom ROMs for phones that only support GL ES 1.x actually report that they support GL ES 2.x, but when you try to make any call to an ES 2.0 function, will only trip glGetError with an unsupported error.
Thank you very much Ameise, this was exactly what I wanted to hear. What I'm taking from this, for now and such a project, is target 2.0 only :-)

Thank you very much Ameise, this was exactly what I wanted to hear. What I'm taking from this, for now and such a project, is target 2.0 only :-)

Make sure you heed my later comments about phones that report GL ES 2.0 support while not actually supporting it. I don't know if they will come up on the Market when you flag in the XML file as "GL ES 2.0 only". You will need create a GL ES 2.0 context, see if that fails, and then make a trivial ES 2.0 only call, and then see if that fails, to be sure.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement