Good game development books

Started by
4 comments, last by sc2slash 11 years, 10 months ago
Hey everyone,
So i've been programming for like 2 years now, mostly in c++, but also learned some basic java. I've recently starting the huge task of learning OpenGL. I think i got most of the bases down, but I wonder if you guys could help me find good books about game development. I don't mean really the code part, I mean the approach that should be taken when making a game. If it has some code aswell, great, if not that's still great :D thx in advance everyone
Advertisement
Do you mean like an all-encompassing book from design to implementation? Or from a planning all the systems together kind of approach? OOP design etc? Well Game Coding Complete 3rd edition is a great book, but to be honest it's a little beyond my skill set, I think it's something that will be great as a reference once I get some more skills and experience down but the scale and scope is a bit much for me. Advanced 2D game dev by jon Harbour is quite cool, but there is a lot of over generalisation since it's supposed to be the development of a super flexible game engine, but the engine has its limitations. It'll help you write a great library and give you an idea of how everything COULD fit together but I've heavily modified the version in the book to use a discrete timestep.

Another good book is OpenGL Programming 2nd edition,it will get you working with shaders and make a complete 3d game by the end of it.
It's very hard for us to find out what books you need. You say you know some basics, and that you want to make some game. Still, we don't know what you really known and what genre of game you want to make (or do you want to make an engine, or both?)

I suggest you check out the books section. If you find a book you think is interesting, you can usually check it out the first 20 pages or so, reviews and it's probably the cheapest on Amazon.
I like the "Game Coding Complete" from "Mike McShaffry".
It gives a nice overview about many aspects of game Development(some Code Examples, but they are in directx)
I've always liked C++ For Game Programmers, but "the approach that should be taken when making a game" is a largely personal thing. There is a certain standard by which everyone starts, but ultimately drifts away from into their own style.

Between Scylla and Charybdis: First Look <-- The game I'm working on

Object-Oriented Programming Sucks <-- The kind of thing I say

Ok thx all for the answers. Ok so I'll go into a bit more detailed explanation of what I'm looking for/what i know. Ok so i've been doing some programming in c++ just for fun really, no super big projects. I did a lot of the problems from ProjectEuler, and also made some games. Started with some console pacman/snake, and then moved into sdl where i developed a tetris game, aswell as a simple Rpg game(kinda like the gameboy version of pokemon). In openGl, I read the nehe tutorials and practiced a bit of what i leaerned.
So i guess i should have expressed myself a little better. I'm looking for books that can help me with the game development, especially like design and organizational structure, but also some good books on the development of a 3d game engine.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement