C#/XNA or Python/Pygame for Game Development (2D Side-Scrolling like Terraria)?

Started by
42 comments, last by birko19 11 years, 10 months ago

Does anyone have any experience with C#? I might learn that after AS3.
Yes, it is also a great language.

But as was suggested above, keep away from the line "and then I should learn...." It is a fast track to distraction and undirected growth.
Advertisement

[quote name='Cham' timestamp='1338644661' post='4945573']
Does anyone have any experience with C#? I might learn that after AS3.
Yes, it is also a great language.

But as was suggested above, keep away from the line "and then I should learn...." It is a fast track to distraction and undirected growth.
[/quote]

Thank you for the advice, I started to doubt my choices again. laugh.png

Quick question though. I haven't seen any high end games made in Python. Sure there are many 2D games but they aren't really professional. C# seems to have so much potential with XNA Studio and all of that. So in your personal opinion is C# better or more equipped for game development than Python?

Thank you for the advice, I started to doubt my choices again. laugh.png

Quick question though. I haven't seen any high end games made in Python. Sure there are many 2D games but they aren't really professional. C# seems to have so much potential with XNA Studio and all of that. So in your personal opinion is C# better or more equipped for game development than Python?

Python is great and high-level language, really, but the most times I've seen it used is as exterior libraries complimenting utils for other language-based applications. I might be wrong, but eh.

If you still take suggestions, I'm actually surprised nobody suggested plain C as a learning start, maybe there's a secret codemonkey curse around it? But anyway, I'd say it's an easy to learn low level language, so that's a good convo. Still used commercially, and is the basis for C++ and C#.

There are quite a bunch of tuts around the web. I could give you a few pointers myself every now and then if you prefer, too.

Only setback is that C is useful for core-y stuff, not really object-programming, graphic interfaces and stuff. Still, good to "learn how to program".
I started with VBA (making small applications in Excel etc) when I was 9. Then I moved on to C++, which seemed slightly confusing at first. However, I managaed to learn it by reading a couple of books. I am also learning Python, because it's supposed to be simple and can do some stuff quicker than C++ can.

Meanwhile, I am also making a game (you can track it's progress on my blog: ctrlaltdel314.blogspot.com) in C++ and a game developing library called SFML.
My friend though is making a game in C# and XNA for the Xbox.

So, to answer your questions, I think both C++ and Java are quite good languages to learn - however, java does require additional stuff to be already installed on your computer (most of it usually is anyway). Java can also run on the internet.
Secondly, if you are using C++ (or Java, or Python) then check out SFML- the SImple and Fast Multimedia Library and SDL - SImple Direct Media Layer. SFML is probably easier.

P.S. Don't try to learn more than one language at once. Doing this will confuse you and it will mean that you are not that good at either of them.
P.P.S Check out Nitrome - a company who make free web based games. I get all my inspiration from them.
P.P.S I haven't read all the posts on this thread in detail so I might have said something somebody has already said.
What's This?: basically, it's my blog. Click on it.
Oh my good god, I just spent a lot of time on C# but it seems like the wrong choice! I've seen a tutorial on how to make a 2d game in C# it looks way over my head.

Python would be easier, but I just can't choose! angry.png

Java is support by a lot but it seems just as difficult as C#.

C++ is just obviously way over my capability.

I feel like quitting, this is so hard to choose.
Lmao, then go with python. :) Go very slow through it and for the love of everything, READ. Too many people just go in and look at the code and what certain things mean and continue on. You're learning now, which means everything you learn now will make the way for the future.

Lmao, then go with python. smile.png Go very slow through it and for the love of everything, READ. Too many people just go in and look at the code and what certain things mean and continue on. You're learning now, which means everything you learn now will make the way for the future.

If I were to create a 2d small rpg, would python do the job? Is there any visual engine I can use (for c# or python)?

If I were to create a 2d small rpg, would python do the job? Is there any visual engine I can use (for c# or python)?

Absolutely. The go-to library for 2D game development in Python is Pygame.
Cham,

It is difficult to choose a language as there are so many choices :) I don't think anyone here can tell you what too learn, although we can all
give you our opinion on what we find useful.

Many teenagers start out with Python, it is easy to get started with and make something fairly quickly.

I would prefer to use Python[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]

[background=rgb(250, 251, 252)], it is very simple but I'm worried I can't make powerful games with Python (I haven't seen one popular game coded in Python).[/background]

[/font][/quote]
Look up Panda3D, you can use Python to create your games :)

Heard of Severance: Blade of Darkness? although the engine was primarily coded in C++,
Python was also used by the developers to create scripts for the game.

Most individuals will suggest that you just learn a language as it doesn't matter which you pick, well... In my experience, it does matter, if your going to spend
your time learning a language it is wise to choose a language that your going to enjoy using.

I use Java (Android development), C# (PS VITA development) and Python(Panda3D, Raspberry Pi :) )

You can't go wrong by choosing Python my friend ;)

As they said, both PyGame and Panda3D will do what you want. :) Even though Python is a (sort-of) simple language doesn't mean it can't make games. :) I suggest you start with Python as I've stated before. :) Good luck

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement