C#/XNA or Python/Pygame for Game Development (2D Side-Scrolling like Terraria)?

Started by
42 comments, last by birko19 11 years, 10 months ago
Yes, I agree with everyone else Cham, Python is definetely the easiest language and it is capapble of creating some very good games. In fact alot of games are made in Python (with C++ for the engine, but the engine can be made in Python as well). Python also gives you an advantage as development is very fast (e.g. making the same thing in something like c++ would take twice the amount of code).
What's This?: basically, it's my blog. Click on it.
Advertisement
I think I've been relying on the opinions of others as my own. One person says something good about the language, the other person says something bad. I take those opinions as my own, which I shouldn't. But now you have all reassured me that Python is the language to go with, I am greatful.Thank you all for your advice! laugh.png
If you want to go into more detail about language options read this guide

It covers basically everything you need to know to get started.

But as I said earlier, forget then "and then...", pick something and stick to it or you will get nowhere.
I am planning to make a game similar to terraria. I haven't seen a game made in Python that comes close to the quality of Terraria.

Also, windows users will have to install Python in order to play my game, which doesn't seem very effecient.

With C# and XNA you don't need to do any of that.

Im just saying. sad.png

I honestly think I should take C++, I might be able to handle it if I try hard enough. I know this is making a lot of you mad, but I know I'm setting myself up for failure by choosing the wrong language. I want to learn one, very good, language.

I am planning to make a game similar to terraria. I haven't seen a game made in Python that comes close to the quality of Terraria.

Also, windows users will have to install Python in order to play my game, which doesn't seem very effecient.

Im just saying. :(

First off, you can bundle a Python game into a single executable.
Second, with C#/XNA, you still have dependencies.

That said, you are putting the horse way before the cart, you need to learn programming first. The guy behind Terraria probably spent years learning to program before creating that game, which I imagine took a number more years to create.

[quote name='Cham' timestamp='1338848284' post='4946241']

Im just saying. sad.png

That said, you are putting the horse way before the cart, you need to learn programming first. The guy behind Terraria probably spent years learning to program before creating that game, which I imagine took a number more years to create.
[/quote]

Wait so you can bundle Python applications into one .exe and have it run even though the user does not have Python? I looked at the best games made in Python, they are not very professional. All the 2D games are choppy, and 3D games aren't very high quality.

[quote name='Serapth' timestamp='1338849981' post='4946249']

Im just saying. sad.png

[/quote]

Wait so you can bundle Python applications into one .exe and have it run even though the user does not have Python? I looked at the best games made in Python, they are not very professional. All the 2D games are choppy, and 3D games aren't very high quality.
[/quote]

Then you did not look at the best games.

And yes, you can.

[quote name='Cham' timestamp='1338851825' post='4946258']

Im just saying. sad.png

[/quote]

[/quote]

And yes, you can.
[/quote]

The best 2D games, I'm not a big fan of 3D Games. If I were to build a 2D game, I should be using PyGame right?

[quote name='Serapth' timestamp='1338854271' post='4946267']
[quote name='Cham' timestamp='1338851825' post='4946258']

Im just saying. sad.png

[/quote]

[/quote]

And yes, you can.
[/quote]

The best 2D games, I'm not a big fan of 3D Games. If I were to build a 2D game, I should be using PyGame right?
[/quote]

It's the most popular choice, yes.

Again, myself, not actually a huge python fan, so I can't make many recommendations in that regard.
Now you have started Python, don't try to learn another language. All the other low level languages will seem much easier once you have learn't Python. And the reason why there aren't many games made in Python is beacause C++ etc are older, more powerful (Alot of programming languages were created in C or C++) and therefore more popular. However, this doesn't mean you can't create a really good game in Python. There's always a first time for everything.

Edit: Also have a look at Blender 3d. It is scripted in Python, but still works without Python. This is because,the core Python modules are contained in the program's directory.
What's This?: basically, it's my blog. Click on it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement