• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
wood_brian

C++ tools that are new to you

This topic is 2321 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
One tool I've found particularly useful is codesynthesis xsd which can be used to transform xml schemas to c++ code for data binding. The main thing I use this for is for defining configuration files, although the use certainly not limited to that. I get xml parsing, validation and c++ representations of schemas for free. This means I can do all kinds of handy things such as automatic documentation generation using an xslt, and also editing the configurations becomes a breeze in a good xml editor (e.g. Visual Studio) which has auto-completion. Edited by _moagstar_

OpenAmeos
ArtisanStudio

Both powerfull UML-Tools that allow you to completly define what kind of output you want. No development without them.

I use the Geany IDE when developing on Ubuntu. It's got some of the better features from MSVC++. It's lean, and not convoluted in any way. It takes about 10 minutes to get used to. It just works. Edited by taby

I have used Xerces and LiquidXMLC++ tool, xerves is a fairly lightweight xml parser and Liquid is a great tool for generating c++, c# and even java code straight from your xml or schema.

Xerces = lightweight ... Seriously?

I use the Geany IDE when developing on Ubuntu. It's got some of the better features from MSVC++. It's lean, and not convoluted in any way. It takes about 10 minutes to get used to. It just works.

Windows version of Geany has no Visual Studio features, except for project management, build tool and syntax highlighting (which is offered by many text editors), unless missing IntelliSense is a feature. Edited by Ripiz

Xerces = lightweight ... Seriously?

I would certainly agree with this, xerces is lot's of things, but lightweight is not one of them. The one redeming feature of xersec however is xml validation. However if you don't need that then I've found pugixml to be a more lightweight and easy to use alternative.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!