Creating Terrain

Started by
19 comments, last by wiselogi 11 years, 10 months ago
I am having trouble with creating terrain, I have created a huge terrain in 3Ds max, about 1000000 x 1000000 in size I used the attached height map in 3Ds max and right now the terrain doesn't look realistic at all, here are the problems I am having:

1. Even when the terrain is too big, I see it looks like its small and when I move the camera towards a mountains thats FAR away, it's either move TOO slow or TOO fast depending on the camera movement speed.
2. The mountains looks very close EVEN when the terrain is so large.
3. I made a simple tank model, when the camera is close, the tank looks normal, when the camera is alittle far, the tank looks so small (I attached a screenshot, the tank looks like it's a black spot!).
4. I am not sure about the best way to apply texture so it looks realistic.

I applied the following to make the texture repeat itself:
d3ddev->SetTextureStageState(0, D3DTSS_TEXTURETRANSFORMFLAGS, D3DTTFF_COUNT3|D3DTTFF_PROJECTED);
Advertisement

Well how close or far the mountains are depends on how you've drawn your heightmap.You shouldn't use pure white as primary color at the Clouds filter(I assume you made the heightmap in photoshop),as white means maximum height,which will make them look pointy.Try applying some grey here and there with a soft brush.Also it's a good idea to split the terrain into chunks and render only the ones that are actually going to be close to the camera and for the farther ones use a low poly version and some fog/blur to make the transition smoothe[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]r,otherwise you're rendering millions of vertices just for the terrain.For the texture to look realistic in 3DSMAX click the model,open modifiers and select UVW Map,then make it Planar and give it a scale 5-6 times smaller than the actual size of the model,so it would tile 5-6 times along the surface.You would need a seamless texture for that,tho.

Edit:I've attached a heightmap that you might want to try:[/font]

[attachment=9201:heightmap.bmp]

If I want to create a very large terrain for first person shot game mission:
What is the appropriate plane size that I should use in 3Ds Max?
What is the appropriate number of length and width segments for the plane?
What is the appropriate height map image size in pixels?
I have used the height map you attached but the world is too small, I tried to scale and make it alot larger, now I see the camera movement is very slow, when I increase the camera movement speed, I see the world is STILL small even when the plane size is very large or is scaled to be very large.

Maybe the problem is with the height map?

I want to create a VERY large terrain for a first person shot game.
If order to make it appear farther you should probably put very light fog the which will make the closer objects sharper or some blur based on distance. Also if there's a way to make the texture mirror instead or wrap there would be less problems with the seams.
I am not sure about how to do what you say, I am using DirectX 9 and C++.

The main problem I am having right now is I cant get the terrain to be very large, no matter how much I scale it, when I scale it the camera movement get slow, when I increase the camera movement, it get faster and the terrain doesn't look like it's large at all.
There are a number of factors that affect the perception of distance and size. Texture, detail, shadows, distance of the camera off the ground, field of view. Try putting a simple grass texture on your hills, put the light source at an angle. Also I think your heightmap is very coarse, e.g. no fine details. Try adding some fine noise. Experiment with the other settings.
Now I have created a very good terrain!

Still having a little problem though:
1. The texture look like it's repetitive! I think I need a way to make the terrain texture doesn't look like it's repetitive (I have attached a screenshot in the main post)

2. I need to create alot of mountains, I have a huge terrain and I need example of a height for creating ALOT of mountains, though I need some good spaces between the mountains.
Even when I apply [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]

[background=rgb(250, 251, 252)]seamless texture, it looks repetitive and not realistic.[/background]

[/font]
It's a common problem with texturing. The human eye can easily spot the same texture repeated many times. There are a number of options. Probably the easiest would be having a selection of different ground textures and paint them onto the landscape, blend them together. That can take a little practice and a little artistic skill to look nice. On the opposite end of the spectrum, ID Software went crazy with megatextures, e.g. you don't see repeated textures because there are huge unique areas hand-drawn by an artist.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement