• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Bizarre errata with ternaries and integer literals...

This topic is 2088 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

((false?1:0)-(true?1:0))

This evaluates to 4294967295 (hex 0xFFFFFFFF), perhaps because the literals are being treated as unsigned. The expression (0-1) yields -1, though it's likely computed at compile time.

Is this a bug or a feature? tongue.png

Code that produced the issue:

//The white box soldiers on, knowing the fate of the world rests squarely on his shoulders.
heroPos.x += .005f*((Keyboard.right.held?1:0)-(Keyboard.left.held?1:0));
heroPos.y += .005f*((Keyboard.up.held?1:0) -(Keyboard.down.held?1:0));

Not a huge issue but a thing. The C++ programmer in me wishes AS booleans were math-friendly like their counterparts in native code, but I guess I can understand the reasons for avoiding that.

If I continue using this forum you'll notice my habit of striving for terse code borders on obsession. smile.png Edited by Andreas Jonsson

Advertisement

int a = (false?1:0)-(true?1:0);
ConsoleOutput("a :" + a);

prints a: -1 for me.

edit:
ok. after reading your other post i see your issue.

even a simple if(1) does not compile in angelscript.
if accepts nothing but true or false.
i believe it would be a pain in the ass to implement such feature, and a feature that would confuse script writers Edited by saejox

Is this a bug or feature?

Yes, it is because the numbers are considered unsigned. No, I do not consider it as a bug.

I do however recognize that interpreting the numbers as signed would be more intuitive. I'll consider changing the current behaviour.

Saejox:

Try
ConsoleOutput("a :" + ((false?1:0)-(true?1,0)));

I think defaulting to signed (in the C++ style) would generally be more intuitive. Again, thanks for the prompt response! :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement