• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Manill66

Should I use java or python for a survival/rpg game?

This topic is 2376 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Hello! Well I know a little bit about java and python. I really enjoy the python language. It seems more simple than java. But in the books that I read about python, they mainly talk about text based games. So I was wondering what type of games python and java can make. And what language do you think will be better for a rpg/survival game. [/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Thanks![/font] Edited by Manill66

Advertisement
Both languages can create any type of game - text, rpg, 3d shooter, mmorpg, whaterver... Language nowadays is irrelevant. Choose the language with which you are most comfortable.

Both languages can create any type of game - text, rpg, 3d shooter, mmorpg, whaterver... Language nowadays is irrelevant. Choose the language with which you are most comfortable.

Okay thank you! Looks like i'm probably going to use python.

I would use whatever language you are most comfortable with. Java and Python both have good game dev libraries. They are capable of 2D, 3D, and text. Neither one, IMO, is better than the other. Edited by Alpha_ProgDes

It really depends on what you find comfortable, Java and Python are both great languages.

My two recommendations to use with either language are:

Java - JMonkeyEngine
Python - Panda3D

It really depends on what you find comfortable, Java and Python are both great languages.

My two recommendations to use with either language are:

Java - JMonkeyEngine
Python - Panda3D

Alright thanks!

Have a look at Google Go. It combines the advantages of Python (quick and easy to write), with the advantages of C++ (compiled, static type checking). It is easy to learn as the languages specification is small.

For me, writing algorithms in Go takes a third of the time compared to writing them in C++.

Of course, if you already know Java or Python well, then that is the obvious answer. But I don't think you do, or you would not ask that question here?

I am actually going to use java. My goal is to learn C++ one day so I am going to java since it is more like it than python. But I still want to learn python.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!