Should I use java or python for a survival/rpg game?

Started by
10 comments, last by xhh 11 years, 10 months ago

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Hello! Well I know a little bit about java and python. I really enjoy the python language. It seems more simple than java. But in the books that I read about python, they mainly talk about text based games. So I was wondering what type of games python and java can make. And what language do you think will be better for a rpg/survival game. [/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Thanks![/font]

Advertisement
Both languages can create any type of game - text, rpg, 3d shooter, mmorpg, whaterver... Language nowadays is irrelevant. Choose the language with which you are most comfortable.

Both languages can create any type of game - text, rpg, 3d shooter, mmorpg, whaterver... Language nowadays is irrelevant. Choose the language with which you are most comfortable.

Okay thank you! Looks like i'm probably going to use python.
I would use whatever language you are most comfortable with. Java and Python both have good game dev libraries. They are capable of 2D, 3D, and text. Neither one, IMO, is better than the other.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Obviously Python... Snakes are way scarier than Islands...
It really depends on what you find comfortable, Java and Python are both great languages.

My two recommendations to use with either language are:

Java - JMonkeyEngine
Python - Panda3D

It really depends on what you find comfortable, Java and Python are both great languages.

My two recommendations to use with either language are:

Java - JMonkeyEngine
Python - Panda3D

Alright thanks!
Have a look at Google Go. It combines the advantages of Python (quick and easy to write), with the advantages of C++ (compiled, static type checking). It is easy to learn as the languages specification is small.

For me, writing algorithms in Go takes a third of the time compared to writing them in C++.

Of course, if you already know Java or Python well, then that is the obvious answer. But I don't think you do, or you would not ask that question here?
[size=2]Current project: Ephenation.
[size=2]Sharing OpenGL experiences: http://ephenationopengl.blogspot.com/
If anyone has any more comments, tips, tools, etc please tell me! Thanks for all the help!
I am actually going to use java. My goal is to learn C++ one day so I am going to java since it is more like it than python. But I still want to learn python.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement